Perkele

Myself
Aug 27, 2002
In Hell
Exhumed - Garbage Daze Re-Regurgitated
Listenable, 2005
By Katalin Sipos

exhumed.jpg

It became kind of a trend for extreme bands to release cover albums. The most famous ones are the Leaders Not Followers series by Napalm Death or Graveyard Classics by Six Feet Under, but even such underground acts as Japanische Kampfhörspiele had a cover album in their discography. Now, the gore masters, Exhumed fell into line with them. Generally I do not like cover albums, but Six Feet Under’s version of ’TNT’ (originally played by AC/DC) was more than convincing.

Exhumed was formed in 1991 and through the years they released countless demos, splits and three studio albums. Their last full-length effort came out in 2003 and since there have been some changes in line-up. Matt Connell (who formerly played in the band between 1996-97) and Wes Caley joined Exhumed founding member Matt Harvey. And together they came up with Garbage Daze Re-Regurgitated. They cover songs from a wide range of styles, including word famous and underground acts, starting the list with The Cure. Though I acknowledge their works and even own one or two of their albums, I just did not expect a The Cure song to be covered by a gore metal band. G.B.H., Metallica, Sadus and similar bands seem more to be a more obvious choice. Anyway, I assume with this list they are introducing their favourites to their fans. Sometimes their versions make the listener smile, and at other times frown, but it is definitely entertaining. And we have got a good portion from from all kinds of music: new wave, punk, hardore, thrash and death metal etc. Just as it is the case with the aformentioned Napalm Death cover albums, some of the songs may at least make people dig up some information about the featured bands, because you can be sure they have been chosen for a reason. By the way, thanks a lot for the Master song, they were among my first favourite death metal bands.

This is not a must-buy album, but if you like Exhumed, or just have a weird taste, give it a chance. The full tracklist is as follows:

A Reflection (The Cure)
All Murder, All Guts, All Fun (Samhain)
Pay to Die (Master)
The Power Remains (Amebix)
Uninformed (Unseen Terror)
No Quarter (Led Zeppelin)
Trapped Under Ice (Metallica)
Necrophilia (G.B.H.)
In Fear We Kill (Epidemic)
The Ghoul (Pentagram)
Twisted Face (Sadus)
Drop Dead (Siege)