External Hard Drives...recommendations?

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
Looking for something fast and reasonably priced with good reliability. Anyone offer any recommendations?

This will be used to store my recording projects. I'm looking for anything 80GB or above, with cost and reliability in mind.

Looking for something fast and reasonably priced with good reliability. Anyone offer any recommendations?

This will be used to store my recording projects. I'm looking for anything 80GB or above, with cost and reliability in mind.

If you are using it just for "Storing recording projects" then speed should not be as big of a concern. A simple USB 2.0 setup will be way more then enough. Even a USB 1.0 drive will work fine. I have been using a Segate 120 USB 1.0 to store my samples libraries on (i.e. DKFHS and Hardcore bass), and for backing up full projects. I would say it takes about 20 - 25 minutes to backup a 75-80 gig project on the thing. The speed at which I load my samples in from DKFHS has not even been a factor because I don't notice it. If you are streaming stuff from it then thats a diffrent story. You would want a FW setup. But then again who the hell would ever stream audio from an exteranl. Glyph is great because they have amazing Customer Service but I have never had a problem with my Segate drives.

It might be cheaper to use a hard disk enclosure (which lets you plug in a normal hard drive into a box and then plug the box into a USB 2.0 or Firewire port on the computer) and a 'traditional' hard drive - first, you're able to use any hard drive size you want in the same enclosure, so while some externals cost two times as much as an equally sized internal you're paying the internal cost plus about 30 bucks for a good enclosure, and second you can use several drives in the same enclosure provided you don't need to access them simultaneously. The speed of that setup will be identical to that of the equivalent external (meaning USB 2 or Firewire) and I'm still not sold on external hard drives when I can just use an internal in an enclosure, so that's why I'd take that route; take this with a grain of salt because I am (1) a computer nut and (2) incredibly cheap, but it's an option to consider if you happen to see a great sale on internal drives and it would be cheaper to get a big internal and a $30 enclosure than to get an external. I'd take WD or Seagate as the hard drive in that case, as I've used those for years on end without so much as an irreparable sector, but go with internal drive brand as you please.

Jeff

Yeah do what JBroll suggests.

Just get a standard SATA hard disk and an enclosure that does SATA to USB2 and Firewire. That way you have all the connectivity you need and it usually ends up being cheaper.

as far as professional audio, after trying alot out ive only found 2 to b built and run like tanks, quantegy (awesome customer srvice also) and avastor, which is actually 2 old quantegy guys.
and lacie terrabytes for backups only, not for running to. lacie are also bulletproof as fas as backing up.

so short answer dammit???

avastor, or quantegy! :)

Whatever you do, make sure it's firewire. The speed difference is insane.

True..but there seriously should be no reason for it. He should never be using an external drive for anything that is "speed related".

This will be used to store my recording projects.

This will be used to store my recording projects.

store my recording projects.

I think that there are too many things that can go wrong with external anythings to risk using them as a main setup. I will of course second the Firewire recommendation, if you've a port and of course the processing power (as I've seen that speed murder an older Celeron), but I would strongly recommend that you do NOT record to one of those directly just for stability purposes.

Jeff

Why wouldn't you suggest recording to them? Guys here like Sneap and Murphy do it all the time. I've been doing it for close to a year with no problems whatsoever, something I can't say for the internal drives I used before that.

I personally wouldn't trust it. Had too many firewire/usb driver issues in the past. That's a personal thing though, I have heard of many people successfully recording direct to external drives.

I always record internal then back up on external.

Yeah, I've seen things go horribly wrong too many times (being basically San Antonio's equivalent of the genius Asian kid down the street who can build a Cray from a cereal box) - not even counting, of course, the people who've dropped, kicked or otherwise shocked the things and wondered where that whiny noise, smoke, and complete and total data loss came from, I've seen problems with slower computers not being able to keep up with writing data too many places (24-bit/96kHz puts more stress on computers than people often think, apparently), unstable power supply issues (it's a lot easier for an external to get less attention than it should, there are simply more things that can go wrong with an external - of course, that's more of an issue with USB drives, but when I see peripherals get ignored for one reason or another it's long before internal hard drives have problems), and more massive failures of externals than internals for no apparent reason whatsoever. I'd just rather use the fucking tank-built monstrosities that go in the box (because I've been using them for sixteen years) than the gizmotrons that popped up a few years back that were designed for convenience and ease of use... forgive me for having used computers WAY too long to trust new stuff that easily. It's just far safer, judging by my experiences with both types, to record to an internal (which I experience to be far faster and better able to handle oddities and glitches, and which I can control much more easily with the disk tools that I've been using since before your computer store clerk knew a Serial ATA from Satan) and back up to an external when things aren't quite so... 'mission critical'.

Jeff

If you do a lot of tracking...it's pretty hard to avoid recording to an external. If you are tracking in your bedroom it's one thing but doing a lot of bands at different studios and locations...I think most people track to external without a problem about 99% of the time. I wouldn't worry about this issue. As long as you buy a good external HD and take care of it you'll be fine. It is always a good idea to back your projects up though. From my experience most people have an external they use for tracking and some means of backing it up either at home or work if their main external ever dies/is lost/ect...