Face Off 2: Pain of Salvation vs. Dream Theater

Who is the brainiest of them all?

• Total voters

BlueSky

New Metal Member
Apr 27, 2006
Obviously both bands have tremendous talent; however, what it all comes down to is songwriting. Daniel is the supreme songwriter here imo. With PoS I always feel the song is the main focus instead of showmanship like DT. Then there's the hurdle that is Labrie, whose voice just gets to me.

This was an easy choice. Make mine PoS!

this is a close one. both bands kinda suck shit now. the latest release by both bands have been down right horrid. but on the flip side some of each bands earlier work is some of my fav. scenes from a memory and the perfect element are both incredible. i feel like pain of salvation's albums are more consistently good so i went with pos.

dreamtheatre suck on cd (imo) but theyre one of the greatest live bands ive ever seen, id easily pay 50$ to just go watch mike portnoy drum

I don't find myself listening to any POS for awhile now. But from time to time I listen to 'Awake' and 'Images And Words', and even though I don't care for the last 4 or 5 DT albums, I still pick them based on the 2nd and 3rd albums. After Labrie lost his voice to hot foods, it's all down hill.

^:lol: it's tough to explain, but he puts on a show when he drums, throwing a stick to a roadie, keeps drumming, then the roadie tosses it back (like 10 meters mind you) and mike scatches it out of the air and whips into a solo like it was nothing

haha, that's what wins me on DT

5 gotta go with DT. Petrucci and Portnoy are just to amazing, Thought their last album was not the best I really liked systematic chaos. And when I have aDream Theater day it is like all I can really listen to. On another note, Images and Words one of my favorite albums of all time.

DT had Kevin Moore (one of my alltime favorite musicians) and I liked them a lot in the early days, never really been a fan of the singer though.
Hmm, but I'll vote POS. Haven't heard all their albums but each time I saw them live I was totally :OMG:
Of course I'm not saying DT aren't impressive on stage as well. But POS are more... intense... or something.

Dream Theater sucks. Pain of Salvation are a good band, but they're pretentious as hell so it's hard for me to really enjoy them. But POS is way better than DT so that's my vote.

PoS at their prime had slightly better songwriting whereas DT had better hooks, but both bands annoy me for a bunch of other reasons. My vote goes to DT because the listener can salvage quite a bit of quality if you just fast-forward through 80% of the material.

this is a close one. both bands kinda suck shit now. the latest release by both bands have been down right horrid. but on the flip side some of each bands earlier work is some of my fav. scenes from a memory and the perfect element are both incredible. i feel like pain of salvation's albums are more consistently good so i went with pos.

New PoS is so much underestimated. Outcoming album is going to be an other masterwork.

DT was once legendary, dont think i could say the same about PoS. the Perfect Element is good, but compared to Images? easy.