__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Falconer – Grime vs. Grandeur
Metal Blade Records – 2005
By Russell Garwood

GvG.jpg

I’m not normally a big power metal fan, but ever since being hooked by 2002’s Chapters From A Vale Forlorn I’ve been following Falconer with interest. The follow up The Sceptre of Deception left me slightly bereft – yes, it was pretty cool, but it failed to hold my attention and I soon stopped listening to it. Now the band are back, with a new album Grime vs. Grandeur which I really feel marks a return to the form for the group. Vocalist Kristoffer Göbel has clearly settled into his new role, with a far more varied (and aggressive) delivery than on the band’s previous effort, in an all round top-notch performance. All vocals are sung, and there are still the more mellow moments we associate with Falconer of old, but Göbel brings a more aggressive, shout-orientated tone to the table this time around. The addition of guitarist Jimmy Hedlund has resulted in a proliferation of well placed, tasteful guitar solos, while the rhythm work (courtesy of Stefan Weinerhall) is as tight, melodic, and as catchy as ever. New bassist Magnus Linhardt also contributes a noteworthy, powerful performance, while with the addition of Karsten Larsson’s strong drumming constitutes a driving rhythm section.

In terms of the music, the medieval/folk element is somewhat suppressed on this release, yet there are enough anthemic choruses, unforgettable hooks and well-written songs to satiate even the most demanding fan. The lyrics are also not so overtly medieval, which is a shame, but this would be one of few complaints with an otherwise excellent album. While many, including myself, mourn the loss of the folk leanings of old, Falconer are still among the best power metallers out there, and Grime vs. Grandeur is a memorable, highly enjoyable album.

8/10

Official Metal Blade website
Official Falconer website