Falconer's Black Moon Rising

Amazing album. One of the best of the year!

Interesting if you look at the history of this festival and within the budget of the festival Falconer would be the top requested band left that never made it to PP yet. All other bands that were requested more than them eventually made it but Falconer!

They kind of blew up big after that Mini commercial. Glenn can only do so much.

Amazing album. One of the best of the year! Interesting if you look at the history of this festival and within the budget of the festival Falconer would be the top requested band left that never made it to PP yet. All other bands that were requested more than them eventually made it but Falconer!

They have been invited in the past more than once. You will note they rarely play live.

Mathias has a pretty busy schedule, a fact that the band has not shied away from making known. But they feel it is worth having Mathias' voice on each release, even if it means they don't play out as much. Both Stefan and Karsten agreed that to have the sound they want on their albums, they need Mathias' voice. So the guys are very respectful of Mathias' schedule in order to have him continue to sing for the band.

If I recall correctly, they made this known after they parted ways with Kristoffer Göbel.

I'm a Falconer fan, but this disc seems fairly paint by the numbers. It's pretty good, but I haven't heard much that really grabs me on first listen other than The Priory.

The music as usual is very good and classic Falconer, however there doesn't seem to be as much of an emphasis on choruses this time or at least my chorus detecting brain was not ticking along as each song came along. I think this will need quite a few listens before a full judgement can be made. This maybe seen as a positive sign by many but knowing my own taste the harder I have to try the less I am likely to like something.

Love this new one. After Mithotyn, Falconer has always been somewhat disappointing to me. There's more Mithotyn-style riffs on this album and it has some of that King of the Distant Forest feel to it.

Love this new one. After Mithotyn, Falconer has always been somewhat disappointing to me. There's more Mithotyn-style riffs on this album and it has some of that King of the Distant Forest feel to it.

The only difference I can hear between Mithotyn and Falconer are the vocals.

And the production quality, but that's beside the point.

Falconer IS Mithotyn, but with clean vocals. Otherwise there's very little difference. Even the drummer and rhythm guitar player are the same, and rhythm guitar player is the primary songwriter for both. Riffs, guitar tone in the rhythm, drums and lyrical content are the same between the two bands.

The only difference I can hear between Mithotyn and Falconer are the vocals.

And the production quality, but that's beside the point.

Falconer IS Mithotyn, but with clean vocals. Otherwise there's very little difference. Even the drummer and rhythm guitar player are the same, and rhythm guitar player is the primary songwriter for both. Riffs, guitar tone in the rhythm, drums and lyrical content are the same between the two bands.

I didn't just happen to compare them to Mithotyn. I'm well aware that Weinerhall and Larsson went on to found Falconer after Mithotyn disbanded. The guitar tone and drumming is similar across albums, but so much of the music on Black Moon Rising sounds like something off King of the Distant Forest, more so than any other Falconer album. After the Priory finishes I could be told I'd just listened to a Mithotyn album and that Falconer planned to replace Blad with Martinsson and change their name to Mithotyn for the next one, and I might just believe it.

Yea, some of the Falconer albums have some Mithotyn-like riffs here and there, but BMR is full of them: Locust Swarm, Halls and Chambers, Black Moon Rising, Wasteland, Age of Runes, Jester's Ball, There's a Crow on the Barrow, and The Priory all have serious Mithotyn riffing and melodies going on. I love it.

I have been listening to this CD all week. Now a solid Falconer liker. What CD should I check out by them next?

Is Black Moon Rising the only disc you have by them?

My favorites are their first two, Falconer and Chapters from a Vale Forlorn. Chapters from a Vale Forlorn is probably my favorite of the two. But really, you can't go wrong with any of the releases that have Blad on vocals.

The releases are as follows:
Falconer (2001)
Chapters from a Vale Forlorn (2002)
The Sceptre of Deception (2003) (Göbel on vocals)
Grime vs. Grandeur (2005) (Göbel on vocals)
Northwind (2006)
Among Beggars and Thieves (2008)
Armod (2011)
Black Moon Rising (2014)

Sceptre and GvG have a different vocalist, but they're pretty good albums in their own right, with some solid tunes, especially "Child of the Wild" off of GvG. Armod is probably their most aggressive sounding album to-date, and is completely in Swedish. It's awesome. But that turns some people off, which is not as awesome. But their loss.

So yeah, I'd go with any of the Blad output, and then maybe check out one of the two with Göbel .

I think it's great, second only to the debut for me as far as quality, and then only just. They were just on fire here with the riffing, and even though the songs aren't as immediately catchy as the ones on the S/T, "The Priory" is now one of my favorite Falconer songs. I have a feeling that I'll grow to like the rest of the songs even more as time goes on, too.

Really, REALLY liking the new disc. It is currently in constant rotation. Especially digging Halls and Chambers!!

For those that want their Mithotyn fix, not sure if anyone knows about King of Asgard. They include 2 members of Mithotyn (Karl g/v and Karsten d (also in Falconer)). They might scratch that Mithotyn itch.

http://soundcloud.com/metalbladerecords/king-of-asgard-the-runes-of-hel

New one comes out next week.

*blurgh* Sorry, don't know how to stream Soundcloud.