Farewell Jon Lord

Symphony

PQ member
Jan 8, 2002
Southampton, UK
www.power-quest.co.uk
DEEP PURPLE'S JON LORD DIES AGED 71 :
The rock world has lost another true legend and an icon of the ages. R.I.P. Jon Lord.

Jon Lord of Deep Purple has died at the age of 71.
The co-founder and keyboard player with the metal pioneers passed away today (July 16) after suffering a pulmonary embolism. He had been suffering from pancreatic cancer and was surrounded by his family at the London Clinic.

Lord founded Deep Purple in 1968, and along with drummer Ian Pace was a constant in the band during their existence from 1968 to 1970. Her co-wrote many of the band's songs, including the seminal 'Smoke On The Water' and was responsible for the legendary organ riff on 'Child Of Our Time'.
He remained with the band when they reformed in 1970, until his retirement in 2002.

Renowned for his fusion of rock and classical or baroque forms, he was perhaps best known for his Orchestral work 'Concerto For Group And Orchestra' first performed at Royal Albert Hall with Deep Purple and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in 1969 and conducted by the renowned Malcolm Arnold. The feat was repeated in 1999 when it was again performed at the Royal Albert Hall by the London Symphony Orchestra and Deep Purple.
He also worked with Whitesnake, Paice, Ashton And Lord, The Artwoods and Flower Pot Men.

A statement from his representatives reads simply: "Jon passes from Darkness to Light".
WebLink: www.nme.com/news/deep-purple/64953.

From Joe Lynn Turner, July 16, 2012 -
I am deeply saddened about the passing of Jon Lord...I am proud and humbled to have known him both personally and professionally ...and blessed to share a special time with him. He was a true and gifted original...a Gentleman of the industry ...and he shall be greatly missed!
My sincerest sympathies to his family and relations...and to all of us who have lost one of the great musicians of our time!...R.I.P. Jon...may God hold you in his hands. ---Joe Lynn Turner.

A sad day indeed.....one of the first people I ever heard playing keyboards in a rock context back in what must have been 1979/1980 or thereabouts.

RIP Jon Lord. Truly inspirational for me, I think the key solo to Highway Star was the first key solo I ever taught myself. Cancer's a bitch - at least he has peace now.

BLACK SABBATH drummer Bill Ward has written the following tribute to former DEEP PURPLE/WHITESNAKE keyboardist JON LORD, who lost his battle with pancreatic cancer at age 71 on Monday, July 16th:

"My wife and I wish to respectfully send out condolences to the Lord family. News of the recent passing of Jon Lord has been met with sadness in our house. Reflecting upon his keyboard sounds, I must endorse how much he brought in originality and vision to the defining edge of hard rock. He is well-proven as a part of Rock's historical journey and will not be forgotten.

Thank you, Jon Lord. Rest in peace."

Steve Lukather: "My heartfelt RIP to Jon Lord.. A massive influence of all musicians of my generation and beyond..."

Neil Murray: "Very sad to hear of the passing of Jon Lord, who I had the great pleasure of working with from 1978-82 in Whitesnake. Wonderful musician and a nicer person would be hard to find. R.I.P."

John Pratt: "R.I.P. Mr. Lord."

Gary Schutt: "R.I.P. John Lord! You are a legend and an inspiration! Here's to ya!"

Steve Price (ARFM): "Jon Lord R.I.P. (9.6.1941 - 16.7.2012) A true gentleman and a truly great musician. One of the nicest people to interview... ever!"

David Mark Pearce: "I wanted to post this today in honour of the great Jon Lord who sadly passed away today. I remember seeing this for the first time and to say it blew me away is the biggest of understatements! Jon Lord is an inspiration to all. You will be sadly missed sir! Rest In Peace!"

Steve DeMarchi: "Sad to hear legend keyboardist Jon Lord of Deep Purple passed away. Amazing player... he will be missed! Rip"

Doogie White: "Dear Jon, thank you. Thank you for being the very best, the most honourable and memorable, the most inviting. The finest host, ( Ritchie often told me that you were his greatest and favourite dinner guest) I remember you telling me off for buying a round of drinks in Luxembourg?. You paid anyway. Thanks sir.
You were the finest of story tellers and much much more. But really Jon, thank you, for not only being part of the most dynamic music I ever heard, that changed my world and that of many others, but also for the most beautiful musical moments I ever had. Three. Yes. Those three, yes three of the most outstanding and joyous concerts I have ever had the pleasure to be part of. Great songs in a world I was not used to with an orchestra. You gave me a shot, took a chance and I will never forget those moments, nor how you both you and Tarquin mocked the Tartan suit I had bought for the occasion. The waistcoat is in Rio, the trousers in the closet.
There are those who have known you much longer and worked with you much harder but I will cherish those memories for all that remains for me.
Dear Jon, I will miss you so much. "..the Poet and the Pilgrim"
Much love to the Lord Family and the extended Purple Family in these saddest of days. JON LORD. LEGEND.. Tonight I will raise a glass to the finest of men..."

Tony Iommi: "I was so shocked and saddened to hear the news of Jon's passing . Jon was not only a magnificent keyboard player and musician but a wonderful human being and a true gentleman. I'm honoured to have had the opportunity to play together with him. We've lost a true legend but his music will live on in all of our hearts. My deepest thoughts go out to his family. R.I.P Jon, my friend."

Steve Morse: "Jon just died. I'm shocked and don't know what to do, so I'm going to try to tell you a little about Jon.
Jon was the powerhouse keyboard player that brought rock and classical directly together many times. The first was his timeless organ solo on "Highway Star". The next was his "Concerto for Band and Orchestra". I was able to perform with the whole band as it was played at Albert Hall before we toured extensively with it. Just weeks ago, I was able to play on a studio recording of Jon's concerto and share some heartfelt thoughts and words with him.
Jon was the guy that would stop us from giving up on an idea in songwriting because it wasn't immediately obvious. I remember him encouraging me in the studio to keep doing what I was doing as I played around with an idea that I was intrigued with. After writing something as amazing as his concerto, he still had the imagination to hear ideas on top of anything I suggested. He always had a regal, gentlemanly manner. Like any of us, he could get annoyed, but he would only show it with his wry and dry wit.
Mostly, he was upbeat and a pleasure for anybody to be around. His humor was right up my alley, with us exchanging ridiculous thoughts like, “If Brenda Lee married Tommy Lee, her new name would be Brenda Lee......" Or having him finish the tune when an announcement at an airport would start with several musical notes to get your attention. It's hard to give anecdotes that convey an ease that somebody could give you, but he sure had that ability. We all love people that will pay attention to our kids, and years ago he charmed my (then) 5 year old son, Kevin with a Donald Duck imitation even while he was being hurried to get out of the dressing room and go to the green room for after show greetings.
Jon retired from the endless DP tour schedule, but continued to do appearances with original material and performances of his concerto. I knew he missed the band he helped start, but at the same time couldn't stand the relentless travel. From time to time, we would see him on tour, and he would sit in with us. The last time we played, less than a year ago, at the Sunflower Jam at Royal Albert Hall, he had just come offstage from performing with Rick Wakeman. Later I talked with him and his wife about how strange it felt to look around at the keyboards and not see him there at Albert Hall. We promised to do something together. Soon thereafter, we all learned of his battle with Pancreatic cancer. I kept hearing hopeful, positive reports that they might be making progress, but this sudden death caught me totally unaware. I thought we would meet and do a recording project in the future when he recovered from the chemotherapy. Well, we sort of did, but I had to record it and send it to him, as we were in different countries.
If you have friends, family, especially kids, don't ever miss a chance to do or say something special....or simply appreciate the fact that they are there. One day, they won't be."

Mick Box: "Jon Lord was the classic rock keyboard player of all time. He literally wrote the book! Jon's compositions are timeless, and his Hammond Organ sound was legendary, and always seen as the sound to get, it was that good. When he was with Deep Purple, and Heep have toured with them many times, I spent most nights standing on the side of the stage spellbound by his virtuosity. Jon was one of Classic Rock Music's elite, and his music will stay with us, and inspire us forever. He was also one of the nicest men in the music business, may he rest in peace."