Fates Warning--"FWX"

dano1427

Mar 17, 2003
Concord, Ca.
Well, after a few listens, I'm prepared to say that Fates Warning's latest CD titled "FWX" is the best they've ever done, and probably will be my CD of the year. It's THAT good...Hightly recommended.

-dan

Nice to hear!!

I downloaded and listened to the Simple Human track and the second time, it just CLICKED for me. Have high hopes for the album.....

Now that you mention it, I might just go ahead and order it today.... :headbang:

I grabbed it yesterday. I really loved Disconnected, their last album...although I likely won't earn any points for saying it, it's been my favorite FW album mostly due to the track, "Still Remains", which is musical perfection as far as I'm concerned.

Still digesting FWX, but I definitely like the feel of it. I think it's the right type of music for me at the right time, particularly as I'm just getting over a pop/alternative rock phase. (Again, not earning any points from you guys. ;))

I'm a newcomer to Fates Warning,I've got thier live cd and Disconnected,but have rediscovered their earlier stuff with John Arch(I just ordered the Spectre Within cd)and I can't believe I missed out on this great band back then. I'm liking their earlier stuff more. The same with Enchant,I've got progrock.com to thank for opening my ears again to real music I thought wasn't done anymore(Symphony X is another band I've been turned on too as well.....)

DiscoDave said:
due to the track, "Still Remains", which is musical perfection as far as I'm concerned.
Disco!! What's up bro?

Yeah you and Dano definitely hit the nail on the head - STILL REMAINS is absolutely amazing..... and one of my favorite things they have done.

[just listening to Disconnected about two weeks ago and realzied though, that I almost always let the tune slip right into Disconnected Pt2 track - I just hate the break up the flow from one into the other - especially with that perfectly placed audio clip about 'love, overcometh all things..'...

:headbang:

which of their previous albums would you favorably compare FWX to?? i preferred their 'middle' period (Aresti, Alder, Zonder).
btw, CDUniverse has the CD for around $9..

Hehe, I'm hangin' in there, Dave =).

After listening to X a bit more...eh...I dunno, it hasn't really caught on with me. The only track to really make that particular of an impression on me is the final track, Wish, and even that isn't all that overwhelming. *shrug*

it may be their strongest release. i really like the influence kevin moore (chroma key, dt) has had on Jim Matheos. the additional keyboards really help fill out their sound.

production is great, songwriting is solid. imo, Jim is a better lyricist, wish he would write all. the only sub par track is stranger, but the next and final track, Wish, more than makes up for that.

rick..

Kineto_guitar said:
Is it just me, or does "Another Perfect Day" sound like it could be an Enchant song?
Hmm...perhaps it isn't just you...I totally fell for Another Perfect Day, and Wish comes in a close second. A lot of imagery, emotion, and heavenly guitar, beautiful vocals, with a heavy streak running through it...all the things that I like about Enchant.

Kristin
ViaDragonX :headbang:

Progrock_Lover said:
I'm a newcomer to Fates Warning,I've got thier live cd and Disconnected,but have rediscovered their earlier stuff with John Arch(I just ordered the Spectre Within cd)and I can't believe I missed out on this great band back then. I'm liking their earlier stuff more. The same with Enchant,I've got progrock.com to thank for opening my ears again to real music I thought wasn't done anymore(Symphony X is another band I've been turned on too as well.....)

Good to see people opening their ears to bands like Fates Warning and Symphony X. There is some great music out there! Have fun in your search. If you like Symphony X you might like Mystic Prophecy who just released a new album this month called Never-Ending. They are not quite as symphonic as Symphony X. Mystic Prophecy's second album Regressus slays! Happy listening! :headbang:

i can't say i like FWX better than APSOG or Disconnected, but i can say, it gets better with every complete listen. i've had this album since noon the day it came out and i like it very much. if anything, i'd say i miss the jamming sessions most of all. to me, this album seems more radio-friendly, but i desperately miss the technical, instrumental sections that made APSOG and Disconnected so great to me. this could be due to the fact that Terry Brown wasn't on board to help produce, who knows?, i still think the album sounds great, besides maybe "Sequence.." and "Crawl"; i like every track.
and for you Disconnected fans, try listening to the album on repeat, the way the "Disconnected" parts were placed, (beginning and end), they run into one another so perfectly, it's like 1 song (sure a lot of you knew that though, hehe). i also must quickly agree that "Still Remains" is an eternal masterpiece!!!

I think it isn't their best release yet. A good one, without any doubt.
Another thing: Yesterday I was listening again to "another perfect day" and then lightning struck me: the riffing, the instrumentation and arrangement of the first part of the song is very similar to a great tune of one of my favourite bands ever: "blackest eyes" from Porcupine Tree.

Does anybody feel the same? :)

slowhand said:
I think it isn't their best release yet. A good one, without any doubt.
Another thing: Yesterday I was listening again to "another perfect day" and then lightning struck me: the riffing, the instrumentation and arrangement of the first part of the song is very similar to a great tune of one of my favourite bands ever: "blackest eyes" from Porcupine Tree.

Does anybody feel the same? :)
yes. APD=BE from PPtree..esp the beginning riff.

PPtree has a new album out early next year btw.

Kyle

FWX is a frustrating album. I find a few tracks to be brilliant.. and a lot of it to be quite bland. Generally, the more aggressive tracks fail to engage me. However, "Wish" is a disarmingly beautiful ballad that gives some insight into Jim's depression. "Left Here" has that enormous chorus. "Another Perfect Day" is a delightful romp with excellent vox by Ray Ray. And "River Wide, Ocean Deep" is just out there... unlike anything else FW has done... love the slow build to this one and those mixed back guitar solos.

Oh, and "Still Remains" is the greatest song ever by anyone.

So many people, so many opinions. FWX is definitely growing on me. It's much better than Disconnected although I am absolutely flabbergasted by the guitar whale/wail of Pt. 1 and 2 (Dream Theater's Space Dye Vest gives me a similar feeling, aah beautiful, must be the Kevin Moore connection).

But for me, their best work is either Awaken or Perfect Symmetry (my jaw dropped when hearing Mark Zonder for the first time).

:Spam: Anyway, why don't you all come see both ENCHANT and FATES WARNING live at Headway Festival, 2&3 April in the Netherlands? www.headwayfestival.com

Freek

ProgMetalFan said:
FWX is a frustrating album. I find a few tracks to be brilliant.. and a lot of it to be quite bland. Generally, the more aggressive tracks fail to engage me. However, "Wish" is a disarmingly beautiful ballad that gives some insight into Jim's depression. "Left Here" has that enormous chorus. "Another Perfect Day" is a delightful romp with excellent vox by Ray Ray. And "River Wide, Ocean Deep" is just out there... unlike anything else FW has done... love the slow build to this one and those mixed back guitar solos.

Oh, and "Still Remains" is the greatest song ever by anyone.

Agreed, I only really like about 4 of the songs, and I find a few of them completely unlistenable. Definitely my least favorite FW album.