Fates Warning: Live in Athens DVD

dano1427

Mar 17, 2003
Concord, Ca.
Well, it was released today, 11-22-05. Overall, a good representation of Fates live.

Some points:
-Kevin Moore simply rocks the keys. When he left DT, their sounds changed drastically, and I don't think for the better.
-Frank Aresti...Aresti and Matheos go together like Downing/Tipton or Murray/Smith.
-Nick D...great drummer, but he's not Mark Zonder, who's drumming was so intricate, and was an integral part of the "Fates" sound.
-Ray Alder's vocals were overdubbed, probably for the better. Compare the Athens Soundcheck/rehersal and Bulgarian TV bonus footage to the actual DVD concert (same concert, but different cameras, etc) and it's obvious that he had no voice in that concert. For years he's been plagued by vocal problems, probably from poor technique and his chain smoking. The overdubbing is pretty smooth, but you can hear the source material in various spots.
-Camera work is great.
-Great song selection...Still Remains!

--dan

Right, NDV filled in on drums on that tour! I think I'll have to get the DVD. Fates Warning was, along with Queensryche, one of the bands that heavily influenced my taste in music.

dano1427 said:
-Ray Alder's vocals were overdubbed, probably for the better. Compare the Athens Soundcheck/rehersal and Bulgarian TV bonus footage to the actual DVD concert (same concert, but different cameras, etc) and it's obvious that he had no voice in that concert. For years he's been plagued by vocal problems, probably from poor technique and his chain smoking. The overdubbing is pretty smooth, but you can hear the source material in various spots.
Alas, you are 100% right. That being said, he still managed to give great chills with his performance.