vii. Aquiescence
viii. Retrospect

Label: Metal Blade Records
Release date: 1988
Artist site:
http://www.fateswarning.com/
GRADE:
9.5/10

For those not in the know, FATES WARNING's No Exit release captured the end of an era, yet saw the beginnings of a new one at the same time. The first album to feature new vocalist Ray Alder, who replaced original vocalist John Arch and the last one to feature original drummer Steve Zimmerman. It also was the last FW release to be really heavy and bordering on thrash at times, as they went full on technical with their next release, 1989's Perfect Symmetry.

The title track is a brief interlude with Alder's brooding vocals over a haunting guitar lick, before launching into "Anarchy Divine," featuring Alder's stratosphere reaching shrieks of yesteryear. I've always loved them, but for some they are an acquired taste. It also had something FATES CDs as of late have not, an abundance of guitar solos. Both guitarist/founder Jim Matheos and guitarist Frank Aresti, who had just joined the group for the previous release Awaken the Guardian used to shred their asses off. They were easily one of the top 10 guitar duos of the late '80's. "Silent Cries" was an MTV staple with a horribly cheap video to go along with it. Still one of my favorite choruses to this day. "In A Word" was, in a word, a ballad, but a killer one at that! Matheos' last solo before the final chorus rips! I could on all day talking about each individual solo on No Exit, as I can hum them all!

"Shades Of Heavenly Death" is one of Aresti's finest moments, both lyrically and musically. Alder once again is all over the place, sometimes at levels bordering on dog frequencies, hahaha! Even so, his voice is powerful and convincing. Wait for the moment around the 3 and a half minute mark where everything slows down and becomes one of my favorite moments in metal ever. I hear the chants already, Fanboy! Fanboy! Fanboy! Sorry, can't help it, FATES WARNING are one of those bands I couldn't do without on a desert island.

PJ