favorite Bob Catley releases and entry points?

TychoCelchu

Sep 28, 2004
Boston MA
For years Bob Catley has been my favorite voice on Avantasia and recently Ayreon. But I never investigated where he came from. I understand he was in the band Magnum and has some solo work as well? Any big fans on the PP board? Rec's welcomed!

Nice! Seems like Storyteller's Night is a good starting point. I would actually be more interested in the AOR/rock albums than the bombastic metal albums, at least at first.

If you are more of a AOR than bombastic / symphonic fan you must also check our Hard Rain. It's pretty much Magnum when they were on a break.
Also, all of Catley's solo efforts are stellar. Especially "The Tower". A masterpiece...

Magnum - On a Storyteller's Night

Chase the Dragon and Wings of Heaven are two very good albums as well. It's very much melodic rock - don't expect anything heavy. It's just damn good music.

His solo album "Immortal" that Magnus Karlsson (Allen/lande, The Codex, last Tribe) did the music for is pretty awesome too.

Bob Catley-Immortal, is an amazing album all the songs are written by Magnus Karlsson so u know it's catchy has hell and Dennis Ward,Uwe Reitenauei also play on the album so u know it rocks,also When Empires Burn is the same way every song is epic and catchy this won was written by Paul Hodson and speaking of him he also played in a band called Hard Rain and that also has Bob Catley on vocals and is kickass I just have the s/t album and it rocks! Bob Catley is one of my all time fav. singers there is so much more u got to check out, Everything the man does is gold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob Catley-Immortal, is an amazing album all the songs are written by Magnus Karlsson so u know it's catchy has hell and Dennis Ward,Uwe Reitenauei also play on the album so u know it rocks,also When Empires Burn is the same way every song is epic and catchy this won was written by Paul Hodson and speaking of him he also played in a band called Hard Rain and that also has Bob Catley on vocals and is kickass I just have the s/t album and it rocks! Bob Catley is one of my all time fav. singers there is so much more u got to check out, Everything the man does is gold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dJuBUFeQkY

If you like Immortal, I highly reccomend his previous solo effort, Spirit of Man. It's every bit as good.

Immortal is excellent, and Storyteller is definitely the classic everyone says it is. Amazing singer I would not have been as aware of if it wasn't for Avantasia (thanx Tobi).