Favorite Books

Anesthetize

Dec 25, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
www.myspace.com
Yeah, sorta stole the idea from Prof. Oak. Couldn't let him start /every/ thread!

Anyway:

The Shack
Harry Potter saga
A Time to Kill
Walden
Lord of the Flies
Of Mice and Men
Buried Onions

add to this list anything by Stephen King, PARTICULARLY his Dark Tower series, with which I am nothing short of obsessed. I'm midway through my 10th reading at this very moment.

So what strikes the fancy of the rest of ya'll?

Haha, I figured, after the movies thread, I was done until some other folks created some new ones too! :) At any rate, regarding literature, my favorite writers are definitely H.P. Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard and J.R.R. Tolkien, thus my favorite books and stories are probably pretty obvious, haha. Otherwise, I enjoy some rather spiritual Native American texts in addition to some folklore (mostly Nordic and Slavonic) and mythology (most regions), as well as a few other things, too.

I still need to read The Dark Tower! - I plan to embark on it shortly, I have the first two books although, at this point, they do indeed remain unread :erk:

Well, you've still got 5 more books to buy, plus the graphic novel prequels! But I warn ye: once you start reading them, no other thoughts will enter your mind for quite some time.

... and how I would welcome such an escape! I am currently reading through The Lord Of The Rings once again, for it has been a couple years too long since my last reading though, once I complete that venture, I believe The Dark Tower shall then await! :)

Well, you're in luck, as DT is greatly influenced by LOTR, I'm sure you'll pick up on the similarities.

Another word, don't let the first book dissuage you. It's a bit dry. But absolutely necessary. Just keep on trucking and things will get good.

Well, you're in luck, as DT is greatly influenced by LOTR, I'm sure you'll pick up on the similarities.

Another word, don't let the first book dissuage you. It's a bit dry. But absolutely necessary. Just keep on trucking and things will get good.

Aye, of that there is no doubt although, of course, thanks for the head's up anyway! The only Stephen King books I have read at this point include The Shining, Misery and The Dead Zone, all of which I did enjoy, especially The Shining so, knowing that I enjoy his style, I am stoked to read The Dark Tower series! - now I'll finally have some more insight into many of the Demons & Wizards songs, haha.

Ah, indeed! I do love Demons & Wizards, in fact I only found out about them because I was reading about the series on Wiki and they were mentioned.

The series is sort of King's centerpiece, most of his works tie in somehow, such as The Shining.

J.R.R. Tolkien - The Silmarillion
J.R.R. Tolkien - Lord of the rings
Harper Lee - To kill a mockingbird
George Orwell - 1984
Neil Gaiman - American Gods
Daniel Keyes - Flowers for algernon
George R.R. martin - A storm of swords
Juliet Marillier - Daughter of the forest
Philip Pullman - The Amber Spyglass
Robert A. Heinlein - Stranger in a strange land
Orson Scott cArd - Speaker for the dead
B.A. Seloaf - On Hostile Ground