Favorite Driving Music?

MadeInNewJersey

nursing my wounds
Apr 15, 2002
The Ridge
www.discogs.com
If you're at all like me, there are certain albums/songs that are just better suited to having the windows down and the volume at dangerous levels. For example, I learned the hard way that trying to get into a Burzum album isn't best done while fighting traffic on the Bronx/Queens Expressway. It just doesn't work.

On the other hand, once the weather gets a bit nicer, the sun roof slides open, and I normally wind up cranking The Cult - Electric and/or Sonic Temple. They're just damned good driving records. Others that always did the job for me were Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, though to be fair, there aren't any bad places to listen to those classics.

Anyone else? Comments?

No, no, no, not 80 mph... 5mph, at volume 10, through the middle of town, on a nice warm day, with the windows open :D

Megadeth's 502 works really well. So does Hook in Mouth.

Yeah good thrash is meant for driving. The other day I was listening to Lights, Camera, Revolution. It's one of those albums that make you keep turning the volume up and hitting the gas pedal...

Truthfully, I don't think there's anything better than listening to Pain of Salvation's "The Perfect Element Pt. 1" when going on a drive of at least an hour and a half.

JayKeeley said:
The other day I was listening to Lights, Camera, Revolution. It's one of those albums that make you keep turning the volume up and hitting the gas pedal...
that's a good one, but Art of Rebellion is perhaps more consistent...

btw in seeing that Metallica filled their bass slot with Robert Trujillo, I thought that was the smartest move they've made in years. that guy is a rhythm monster.

Summer window down cruisin' with hair blowing (maybe some tail sitting in the passenger's seat):
Queens of the Stone Age
Life of Agony
Primus
Soundgarden
Black Sabbath

Insanely fast OMFG I'm gonna kill myself and love every second of it:
Hate Eternal
Blut Aus Nord
Slayer

etc.

Back in the days where I actually drove a vehicle on a daily basis, I used to put on a lot of baroque stuff like Vivaldi, Haendel and partners... Always good to fill in your mind and relax while providing you with easy tunes to whistle along.
Last time I stepped behind a wheel I had the The Soundbyte CD and thought it harmonized pretty well with a drive through forested hills at sunset.

I'd never listen to something really harsh or too challenging while driving. Not while doing anything else than listening actually.
Blut aus Nord? Yeah, you'll kill yourself, have a nice ride! :wave:

Exodus, Slayer, ... poser stuff like Winger, Skidrow, Motley Crue.

Choice Van Halen tunes are always great for cranking on a sunny hot day :kickass:

Ellestin said:
Blut aus Nord? Yeah, you'll kill yourself, have a nice ride! :wave:
Black metal is normally not my idea of great driving music, but one time I was doing some midnight canyon runs in the middle of nowhere and happened to have Blut Aus Nord playing and it was UNRULY. Hitting switchbacks at 90mph never felt so good. :kickass:

Regurgitate - Deviant has been in my car for awhile now. Every now and then though, I'll blast some Boards of Canada (good for high stress traffic,) maybe even some drum and bass.