Favorite Drum Shells?

7string

Jun 28, 2009
Any opinions on particular models of really great sounding drum shells?

Help needed for my bro with 30 years exp. Full on badass MF on drums.

He has like 3K for a big dbl kick set.

-Thanks

Once i played a Sonor kit that KILLED a Starclassic for rock. All the options Greg said are awesome, tho'.

Another vote for Tama Starclassic, I prefer the birch shells. They've been the most consistently excellent recording drums I've used in the past 10 years or so; I have literally never been disappointed with the sounds we've pulled out of them.

On top of that, the hardware and build quality is great, and they stay in tune, and they aren't crazy expensive.

Cool. thanks for the advice.

Birch kits are nice. A friend has an old 80's Superstar set that has always sounded good.

Just seems hard to weed out some of the cheaply made stuff these days.

Birch and Maple are really good. Yamaha also do drums with Oak and Mahogany shells that are meant to be good.

Personally I've always been VERY impressed with DW kit's whenever I hear them. Tama make some good stuff too.

pearl reference is my favourite kick drum, as it has maple and mahogany, so it has an awesome low end tone but with the round tone maple provides.
dw collectors are my favourite toms, followed by pearl reference
my favourite snares are ludwig black beauty, dw collectors regular maple snares and edge models, tama bell brass (machine uses this on pretty much all his recordings) the pearl vinnie paul and my top favourite is my pearl reference snare :)

personally, i'd get a reference kit. dw is WAY overpriced.
i havent had much experience with the tama birch/bubinga but i've heard great things!

dw collector series...it killed the Tama starclassic maple and bubinga when we compared it for an album! My go-to drums!

To be honest.
I've liked everything that costs about that much in it's own way.
All different flavours of good.
DW, Yamaha, Gretsch, TAMA and Sonor Have all worked well for me!

Tama Starclassic, been playing and recording on mine for 10 years. Best drum sounds I have ever had have been because of this drumset. DW's are awesome too but way overpriced, never been a fan of Pearl kits. Gretsch and and Sonar have good offerings too. I've just been playing on Tama's for the better part of 20 years, hard to change what works...

Best sounding snares in my experiences have been the DW collectors series. Almost every time I've complimented a drummer on his snare sound doing live sound and asked what they're using it turns out thats their snare, and thats over a few hundred gigs with a few bands playing each bill.

I really like the sonor stuff. Never been blown away by a higher end pearl kit the way I have been with some other brands. One of the last bands I recorded used a C&C kit and the toms and kick sounded massive. They were massive sizes too though, 24 inch kick and it was deeper than usual too.

All of these drums listed are good - it just depends what you want.

Starclassic? Agreed - awesome sounding kit. I've had one for 6 years and it always sounds good. A friend of mine has a low end Tama and, with the right tuning and micing, sounds awesome too.

Pearl Masters? Excellent kit. Big fat tone - solid drums that can last a lifetime. This was my first "real" kit - still have it, still love the power and projection.

Yamaha Recording Customs - Well, there is a reason they are so revered. Just have a great, dialed-in sign. Don't own a set but have recorded in several studios where it was the in-studio kit. Great rock kit - the type of kit that will always work.

DW Collectors - Again, a great kit. I managed to get a six-piece 90's one for $800. Had to check with police to see if it was stolen. It wasn't - best money I ever spent on drums.

All of these kits sound great. It's hard to say one dominates or kicks the snot out of the others. Sometimes you prefer one over the others for no other reason than a gut reaction. Sometimes it can be be because your ears need a change. Sometimes it's a different tuning. Sometimes it is the heads.

And, to be truthful, I have an old Premier APK that had some of the best sounding toms. It was hardly high-end, around $500 for a shell pack back in the day (1990 I believe). It just needed fresh heads - coated ambassadors always worked - and it worked.

As for maple or birch? What's the old saying? Maple for live, birch for the studio. While I don't believe that 100%, it has usually been true. Birch seems to have a EQ curve that sounds good in the studio while maple has the bigger projection and depth that work live. The Yamaha Recording Customs are birch and were "it" for so many recordings. Birch became sort of a runner-up to maple for a while but it seems to have regained favor.

Bottom line, 90% of the kits out there will sound good if you give them a chance (tuning, head selection, proper micing and, of course, room).