Favorite passage(s)

May 27, 2001
Greetings, would you mind telling me your favorite passages from Katatonia-songs? :)
To encourage I'll list mine in (chrono)logical order:
1. Somewhere in "Gateways of Bereavement" there's this moment when only the drums can be heard, then guitar and bass join with an awesome melody. Simply great.
2. I love Mikael's "Uuuaargh!" at 3:30 in "Brave", this track has such a majestic atmosphere - stunning.
3. "Strained" is one of my favs from TD and Jonas offers a neat vocal performance here. The way he tiredly sighs out the word "beginning" although he doesn't know it (according to the lyrics) is amazing.
4. LFDGD's "The Future of Speech" has this brillant passage with distorted vocals ("A brand new day, it can't get worse...").

Please reply :D

Oops, I forgot Discouraged Ones :eek:
Yeah the whispered 'twisting names' is a cool effect! I also like the almost monotonous chorus of Saw You Drown, very hypnotic. :loco:

1. That part in "Deadhouse" where they are playing the whale sounds.

2. "Inside the Fall" - right after when he gets done saying "left me waiting inside the fall" it's kind of silent with guitars.

3. The guitar solo in "Without God".

4. The clean vocals in "Rainroom." (in a lifeless motion you're walking like you're dead.)

Yeah, those whale noises in 'Deadhouse' are fantastic and was the first thing that really made me sit up and notice the band- as strange as that sounds.

I also love the sample from 'The Shining' at the beginning of 'Endtime' on Brave Murder Day. I wrote it out and put it on my wall next to my computer to comfort me in those long nights of thesis writing.

Originally posted by requiem
Yeah, those whale noises in 'Deadhouse' are fantastic and was the first thing that really made me sit up and notice the band- as strange as that sounds.

I also love the sample from 'The Shining' at the beginning of 'Endtime' on Brave Murder Day. I wrote it out and put it on my wall next to my computer to comfort me in those long nights of thesis writing.

whats the exact quote?, i remember someone writing it a wile ago, but i forget it and i cant fully make it out on the song, thanks :D

whats the exact quote?, i remember someone writing it a wile ago, but i forget it and i cant fully make it out on the song, thanks

Because uh, for some people, solitude and isolaton can of itself become a problem.

Not for me.

Originally posted by Dismal

Because uh, for some people, solitude and isolaton can of itself become a problem.

Not for me.

Yep, that's it.

The first sentence is spoken by the guy who organises the caretaker position at the particular lodge that Jack Nicholson and his family go to. It's basically a job interview for the caretaker role which lasts all winter and they'll be completely cut off from humanity, except for a simple radio. The reply of, "Not for me" comes from Nicholson who is reassuring the interviewer. If you don't know what happens next then check out the movie by Stanley Kubrik.

I think this quote appears at about 1.30 in 'Endtime' although that's only a guess cause the song's upstairs and I can't be bothered going up to check. It's around 1 to 1.5 minutes anyway.

Check it out, it's awesome.

This man was a genius anyway. His realization of "A Clockwork Orange" still is one of my alltime favorites. I don't think much of "Eyes Wide Shut" though, it lacks some 'magic' moments for me.

i love the guitar part and clean vocals at the end of shades of emerald fields.
there are many more parts i love but i dont feel like writing a lot right now.

heheh.

I love the part in The Future of Speech about 4:25 into the song to about 4:45. when you hear "a brand new day,it can't get worse, hear myself say, it can't get worse" in the back ground then the music stops and you hear "get worse" then it kicks in hard. just listen, you'll see what i mean, if you don't alkready.
Jay

Originally posted by leadfoot256
I love the part in The Future of Speech about 4:25 into the song to about 4:45. when you hear "a brand new day,it can't get worse, hear myself say, it can't get worse" in the back ground then the music stops and you hear "get worse" then it kicks in hard. just listen, you'll see what i mean, if you don't alkready.
Jay

yeah, thats what made me like that song the most when i first got the album. :)

Mine would be:
1- In Nowhere the guitar at 2:10 and what follows "Everything is real but i'm not here..."
2- "When you said that life can't be what you want and i really want everything"
3- In i am nothing "I pray so often for a change"
4- In black session the passage: "I keep on living in this my only wish..."
5- Brave and more precisely the last "at all"

And so many others of course, either for the lyrics or for great musical moments...