Favorite Record Label

Wounded Land

Sep 27, 2005
A Hotel Where Nobody Stays
Taking that "Best of Inside Out 2005" poll got me to thinking: Inside Out is probably my favorite record label in terms of the quality of the bands on their roster. They either have signed or do distribution for...

Ayreon/Star One
DC Cooper
Dead Soul Tribe
Enchant
Evergrey
Fates Warning
The Flower Kings/Roine Stolt
OSI
Pain of Salvation
Poverty's No Crime
Riverside
Sieges Even
Silent Force
Spock's Beard/Neal Morse
Symphony X/Russell Allen/Michael Pinnella
Threshold
Devin Townsend
Transatlantic
Vanden Plas/Abydos

...all of which I love!

What about the rest of you? What are your favorite labels?

I don't think you can count distribution in your decision. Fates Warning is a HUGE band on that list, yet their contract is with Metal Blade, and not Inside Out (although it should be!).

IMO, SPV has the most expansive roster of big name metal bands that are to my liking:

Helloween
Angra
Kamelot
Iced Earth
Demons and Wizards
Jon Oliva's Pain
Dio
Pink Cream 69
Rage
Shadow Gallery
Brainstorm
Doro
Freedom Call
James Labrie
Metal Church

and those are just the Prog/Power bands...

http://www.spv.de

The Fiddler said:
I don't think you can count distribution in your decision. Fates Warning is a HUGE band on that list, yet their contract is with Metal Blade, and not Inside Out (although it should be!).

Fair enough. But I personally enjoy Threshold, Pain of Salvation, Symphony X, Evergrey, Vanden Plas, Ayreon, and Enchant more than Fates Warning anyway, so even if we cut them out I'd still have to go with Inside Out.

That being said, SPV is definitely moving up in the rankings! They have some fantastic bands, my favorites being Kamelot and Iced Earth. I'm also a little bit gay for Freedom Call, for some reason, whom they also have signed.

In my opinion, Poverty's No Crime is the most underrated band on Inside Out. They have an excellent catalog behind them and a singer that reminds me of Damian Wilson at times. I truly hope Glenn has them on his radar. They would make for a perfect 3 spot next year!

Favorite labels of mine would be....

Power/prog : Limb Music

Death/grind : Unique Leader

black/pagan: No Colours

Roadrunner use to be my fav label like maybe 12 years ago... To think this label once had King Diamond, Death, Suffocation, Infernal Majesty, Whiplash, Defiance, Deicide, (early) Sepultura, Cynic, Heathen, Gorguts, pestilence, brujeria, Cancer, Disincarnate, ect....ect....

Now look at RR.. ::sigh:: only bands i can say worth mentioning from the label are Opeth, Nightwish, Obituary, and Trivium (i know they are metalcore but it's decent) .

Other labels i use to love wear metal blade (back in the 80's), combat, and Noise.

SPV is still pretty good. I like the death metal bands from Relapse but i dislike all the other bands on the label. Also think Century media and nuclear blast are still good but what sickens me though is how CM/NB is now signing all these trendcore bands.

I know I don't have to tell you guys this, but a label's roster is no indication of how good a label it actually is. That said, my favorite label in past years has been Relapse, in terms of band promotion, distribution, and how well they treat their bands... but recently, I've been gravitating more toward Century Media. They're making great strides in customer service and tour support, possibly due to the popularity of metalcore bringing them some extra revenue to work with. The worst would be either Black Mark (for spending all their resources on Bathory reissues instead of promoting their current bands) or Magna Farta (for shady business practices).

If you're asking which label's ROSTER I like best... Century, hands down. They've got the most diversity.

AFM and Limb

Wounded Land said:
Taking that "Best of Inside Out 2005" poll got me to thinking: Inside Out is probably my favorite record label in terms of the quality of the bands on their roster. They either have signed or do distribution for...

Ayreon/Star One
DC Cooper
Dead Soul Tribe
Enchant
Evergrey
Fates Warning
The Flower Kings/Roine Stolt
OSI
Pain of Salvation
Poverty's No Crime
Riverside
Sieges Even
Silent Force
Spock's Beard/Neal Morse
Symphony X/Russell Allen/Michael Pinnella
Threshold
Devin Townsend
Transatlantic
Vanden Plas/Abydos

...all of which I love!

What about the rest of you? What are your favorite labels?

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
All I have to do is glance at my cd collection. Mostly consists of Inside Out or SPV releases, or a combination thereof. Also have alot of Metal Blade, Nuclear Blast and Century Media.

I forgot Metal Blade and Century Media!:worship:

Nightmare's good, and Lance is a good guy, I'm just not so much into the melodic stuff. Massacre and The End have some great bands, and Insideout has some good ones too, but again not into the melodic or for that matter prog metal so much. Just my tastes, that's all, but I respect those with other tastes, just so it is not nu metal right? ha ha

Guess I'm mainly a speedy power metal/speed metal/doom/some thrash/goth metal kind of guy. :worship:

Meanmistreator said:
You gotta love Nightmare.

1)InsideOut
2)Nightmare
3)Massacre
4)The End

Beyond Twilight - Devil's Hall Of Fame:hotjump: