Favorite Song from our synthetic soul...

Favorite Song from our synthetic soul...

• enlightenment

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • wurm

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • shut it down

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • juice

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • put it off

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • a new age

• choke

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • age of mystics

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • fragment (cell my sole)

• Total voters
Gotta go with WURM so far, but I've only been through the album twice in the car. Perfect song to go with the SARS headlines I've seen all month.

Chris

In no order:

Enlightenment
Shut it Down
Put it Off
Age of Mystics

Great music!:) The other songs are also good.

Bob what are you planning to do with HEX after your release of OSS?

suburban_punk said:
"Choke" is sick!

Good stuff guys!

Thanks for the comment and the post!

Choke went through several revisions before we got to the final version. We played with the arrangement quite a bit, and settled on putting the solo early in the song (after the first verse/chorus) and before the bridge. A bit different from most typical arrangements that would have the solo late in the song. I think it has an interesting effect.

Bob

Terminus Est said:
In no order:

Enlightenment
Shut it Down
Put it Off
Age of Mystics

Great music!:) The other songs are also good.

Bob what are you planning to do with HEX after your release of OSS?

Hey Terminus, thanks for the comments and the post!

Enlightenment is my current favorite, as well. (though that changes daily and sometimes hourly!).

Our plans are to start working on the next CD in the next couple of months, shooting for an early 2004 release. We hope to have a 3-song demo available for this year's ProgPower.

Also, we filmed a video for Enlightenment, which should be posted on the web-site in a month or two.

Maybe, if the stars every come into alignment, we'll play a couple of shows. We can always hope!

Bob

hey bob, i was thinking about your live performances, and my thoughts are i can help you out. i am an awesome button pusher. so i can hit the start button on the drum machine to start everything off. think of the possibilities. i could make millions. DJ Riendeau. i'd be awesome. i could make it look like i am doing other things too. maybe fiddle with a scratch board, even though not making any sounds. oh man, i just read what i wrote, and i am dumb. i think i will go sit in my corner now.

rgbeach said:
OK, so what are everyone's favorite songs from our recently released "our synthetic soul..." CD?

Multiple selections are OK!

Personally I like Fragment and Enlightenment....great tunes!

Gudinna said:
Personally I like Fragment and Enlightenment....great tunes!

Those were funs songs to write. Fragment was our first demented blues/jazz/metal fusion experiment (wurm being the other). We really like the contrast between heavy, distorted guitars and clean channel guitars using interesting, modal-based chording. Dan had written the bass line and rhythm for the song, and I had a very difficult time coming up with the guitar parts. Then, after countless attempts at riffs, it just came together. I like the chorus for its simplicity and heaviness. And, of course, the outro with the guitar, bass, and drums fading out and the clean channel guitar (playing a modified verse part) fading in is really cool.

Enlightenment went through more guitar rewrites than any of the other tunes. The only remaining original part is the guitar harmony during the verses. The chorus was tricky. Originally, it followed along with the bass guitar almost identically and, after a while, it just wasn't interesting enough. So, I kept working at it and finally it came together (after many suggestions by Dan!). The bridge section was originally heavier, but we thought that the clean channel guitar created an interesting, dynamic effect.

Thanks for listening, and for the post!

bob

rgbeach said:
Those were funs songs to write. Fragment was our first demented blues/jazz/metal fusion experiment (wurm being the other). We really like the contrast between heavy, distorted guitars and clean channel guitars using interesting, modal-based chording. Dan had written the bass line and rhythm for the song, and I had a very difficult time coming up with the guitar parts. Then, after countless attempts at riffs, it just came together. I like the chorus for its simplicity and heaviness. And, of course, the outro with the guitar, bass, and drums fading out and the clean channel guitar (playing a modified verse part) fading in is really cool.

Enlightenment went through more guitar rewrites than any of the other tunes. The only remaining original part is the guitar harmony during the verses. The chorus was tricky. Originally, it followed along with the bass guitar almost identically and, after a while, it just wasn't interesting enough. So, I kept working at it and finally it came together (after many suggestions by Dan!). The bridge section was originally heavier, but we thought that the clean channel guitar created an interesting, dynamic effect.

Thanks for listening, and for the post!

bob

Oops sorry forgot to put in there that I'm your sister. :) But as I said, if I had to choose...Fragment is my favorite. Are you going to see Stephen this weekend?

Later,
Donna