Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Live... In The Heart Of The City

• Saints & Sinners

• Slide It In

• Total voters
I think that's because you probably associate them with the 80s image MTV created. If you had heard the late 70s, early 80s Whitesnake, you might feel differently. The guitar duo of Bernie Marsden and Micky Moody is severly underrated.

Their family tree is quite interesting. You've got Cozy Powell and Neil Murray, both who played in Sabbath for some time, you've got John Sykes on guitar, who also created the monstrous Blue Murder album. Anybody remember that one? You've got Jon Lord on keyboards for quite a few albums, of course Adrian Vandenberg on guitar and later, Steve Vai...

Wow.

I think that's because you probably associate them with the 80s image MTV created.
i like that version actually ... the earlier stuff leaves me cold.

I'm going with Slip of the Tongue. Admittedly, it's not their best songwise, but I just cannot deny the presence of Steve Vai. He is someone that turns 'good' into 'fucking majestic'.

"Slip of the Tongue" - sweeping appregio harmonics in the verse riffs?
"Cheap n Nasty" - one of his best solos ever, ending with that tremelo flutter
"Fool for your Lovin" - yep the remake was better IMO

And of course, the fucking epic Whitesnake tune of all tunes, "Sailing Ships". Just an unbelievable performance from Coverdale - probably the best I've ever heard him sing.

Good album, good memories, Vandenburg's arm problem was bogus, so the conspiracy of "hired gun" Steve Vai makes it all the more memorable, heh. The headline performance (with Aerosmith) at Donnington in 1991 had Vandenburg back in the mix trading chops with Vai on stage...have that on tape somewhere since Radio 1 broadcast the show in FM.

Oh and it was a 7 String Ibanez on that album (with coral sitars and Eventide Harmonizers) when the Korn kids were still just an itch in their daddy's crotchless panties.

Steve Vai > everyone in the universe (except maybe Randy Rhoads, and a few others, and that flamenco guy...yeah)

There is no such thing as a bad Whitesnake album (though I thought Saints & Sinners was a bit naff) and you gotta love the MTV version of Whitesnake for the no-nonsense 80s-style fun of it all (and the fact the songs kick ass). I'd have to go with Come An' Get It as it was my first Whitesnake album around when I was getting into the whole Deep Purple/Rainbow/Whitesnake thing and becoming a firm metalhead. It's just so fucking cool, catchy and addictive! :D