Favourite mastering engineers / houses?

Nov 25, 2011
Who are you diggin' and using nowadays for metal and rock stuff?

Looking for new recommendations and ideas for couple upcoming albums and mixes I've done. Budget wise anything goes but won't blame if we can save some money. Gear wise anything with analog and coloring options would be nice (ITB mixes).

I've been using Sterling, Cutting room and couple Finnish ones in the past, but somehow always had a feeling (as a "small player/name") files coming back with a bit of generic feel and lacking love.. :lol:

Maybe some smaller guys and houses would be able and interested to dig in more and get something fresh and different stuff out of the chain for me.

Thanks for any ideas in advance.

I usually use Richard Dowling of WAV mastering in Limerick, Ireland. He has TONS of experience, he's worked with big names in lots of different genres. His equipment is top notch and he's a nice guy too. I've gotten 8-9 different projects mastered by him and he improved the mixes in all cases.

His prices are very reasonable too. Since his studio is in my city he lets me come up while he's working on material I send him, always a learning experience.

http://www.wavmastering.com/index.php

I've had bands choose to go get stuff mastered elsewhere and had mixed results.

alan douches for indie all the way.

ps - they don't send it to anyone at sterling other than who you request. if you book ted jensen, you get ted jensen... same goes for any engineer.

Lots of interesting names.. Gotta check'em all out. Thanks guys. Has anyone here worked with Howie Weinberg? Would love to try it and price seems to be pretty normal for a big name..

I've had a very good experience with Jens Bogren @ Fascination Street. Can't imagine working with anyone else on my band's albums, his attention to detail is unbelievable. :)
Make sure you get the mix feedback too!

I've also worked with Justin Shturtz from Sterling in the past. He is or was Ted Jensen's assistant and I think he did a fantastic job, too. Also a very nice and helpful guy.

Thanks for the links. I've done one single with Justin Shturtz in the past and it was ok. Ue Nastasi is my favourite from Sterling (as I've never tried Jensen :p).

I've always thought that it'd be actually cool to try some very metal oriented guys for rock and vice versa.. CJ up for radio rock tunes? :lol:

If you're a nobody sending to sterling chances are you got the intern on the 2am shift from what I've heard.

From what I eared they have the top ME (Ted Jensen, Tom Coyle...etc) and the senior ME.
But keep in mind those senior ME have many years of experience working with the top guy. So they could easily be the top guy at other mastering plant.

But no way you get your mix send to intern at 2am. Those over night session are done by senior ME, and you know who you book and who work on your stuff...

Down side is you have some limit with the revision amount you can have at the given price.
So you must be really confident with who you hire because price can go crazy really quick:D

For the metal side, Lasse saved my ass several times.
Alan Douches is also top notch but his work fit better with some engineer than other imo.

I love his work with Mark Lewis mix, but I'm less fan how his work turn out with my mix for example.:lol:
It's a taste thing at the end...

I've had good direct personal experience with Plec @ Panic Room Mastering, who was my regular mastering engineer since 2008. I can also heartily recommend Crystal Mastering, who are one of the premier mastering houses here in Australia.

Of late I've been tackling a lot of mastering work myself.

I've had good direct personal experience with Plec @ Panic Room Mastering, who was my regular mastering engineer since 2008. I can also heartily recommend Crystal Mastering, who are one of the premier mastering houses here in Australia.

Of late I've been tackling a lot of mastering work myself.

I never had the opportunity to work with Plec as ME (nothing again Plec, we couldn't close the deal because he is so busy and I was under tight deadline) but I can guaranty everyone his work is stellar.
Plus he is a great guy so that help:cool:

I've got to give some love to Simon Struthers, he's mastered all of my work since 2010 and I currently work in the same building as him! He just bought / installed a pair of Tyler Decade D1's which are taller than me and sound incredible.

Here's his website.

www.forensicaudio.com.au