Favourite Norwegian metal bands that are still active

Henrik Main

Hello
Aug 10, 2002
Norway
Visit site
Just because I'm bored. Choose your favourite bands from the list, and give reasons for your choices. :)

Edit: A big PISS OFF to the server (.. and perhaps to someone else too :mad: ). The server decided to not let me post the poll, and then started the usual timing out process. And now it won't let me edit the post and fix the poll. Feck. Choose from this list instead, multiple choices allowed:

Aeternus
Arcturus
Ásmegin
Aura Noir
Blood Red Throne
Borknagar
Carpathian Forest
Darkthrone
Disiplin
Dødheimsgard
Enslaved
Faustcoven
Frantic Bleep
Gehenna
Gorgoroth
Green Carnation
Grimfist
Helheim
Kampfar
Keep Of Kalessin
Koldbrann
Lamented Souls
Ljå
Lumsk
Manes
Mayhem
Myrkskog
Nattefrost
Perished
Red Harvest
Solefald
Taake
Tsjuder
Vreid
Zyklon

My choices: 1349, Aeternus, Blood Red Throne, Borknagar, Darkthrone, Enslaved, Gehenna, Keep Of Kalessin, Myrkskog, Zyklon.

Due to my raging anger, I shall have to wait with the reasons for my choices.

I will be purchasing any new Ulver and Manes material that surfaces. Other groups from that list, even the ones that I like, I probably will not.

Hey how does one pronounce Manes? Yes manes is an English word but it's also a Spanish word (and possibly other words in other languages), so I'm not sure what they are referring to.

PS: Vilosophe fucking ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuules. Bind Under SMDrine Whatever not so much.

EDIT: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=manes

Because the first EP and two albums are close to perfect. And now I really like Shadows of Old. I'm not crazy about the latest two, though. I have heard positive rumors about the 2006 album already.

The more I listen to that album with the ugly cover, the more I like it. I look forward to their next one.

I agree with JayK that these guys are pretty much overrated. I like their albums, but rarely listen to them.

Based on the demo and the first two albums, these guys rock. I've heard the Terrorveldet EP, and it wasn't that good. I think I'm sticking to the 3 I own, and I listen to them a lot.

I've got the two full-lengths, and they are both solid efforts. I look forward to the next one.

Yeah, I like Vilosophe. The new one should be cool.

Red Harvest

The latest one was a disappointment, but Hybredd and Cold Dark Matter kick my ass.

Aura Noir
Carpathian Forest
Darkthrone
Disiplin
Enslaved
Faustcoven
Koldbrann
Taake
Eljudner
Audiopain
Infernö (not that I've heard them)
Nocturnal Breed

Well, if you consider that Taake stopped being active with the release of "Doedskvad", that leaves us with Enslaved and Arcturus as far as I am concerned. Aeternus could potentially make it to good music again if they stop going for Behemoth-copycats and inject some dark epic stuff once again. Manes have two nice albums to date but I need to love the next one to put them among my fave list. Ulver is trilogy #1 and half of "Marriage...", the subsequent stuff lost me beyond retrieval...

Ah yes, Solefald kick some serious ass but I'm not in the mood for them on a regular basis. and I guess that's it from the list.

Nice poll
:wave:

Darkthrone
Enslaved
Green Carnation
Lamented Souls
Taake

1349 & Darkthrone are keeping the early 90s Black Metal alive
Enslaved are constantly innovating and consistently putting out excellent music
Green Carnation are great if I can just ignore their last album
Lamented Souls = SUPAR DOOM
Taake is the cutting edge of modern Norwegian Black Metal.

Asmegin
Enslaved
Taake
Borknagar
Ulver
Arcturus
Solefald
Helheim

...I'm sure there are some that I've forgotten for now.

Conception (greatest Norwegian band ever! hopefully they'll make a new album)
Green Carnation ("Blessing In Disguise" rules, yo!)
Frantic Bleep (interesting sound)
Ulver (though only "Perdition City")