Fear Factory - Demanufacture

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Roadrunner Records - 1995
By Philip Whitehouse

Possibly the finest release the band have ever come up with (I must point out as I say this that I haven't heard Digimortal yet), Demanufacture showed everyone's favourite technophobic cyber-metallers coming of age, both in terms of songwriting and technical ability.

Getting off to a fine start with the incendiary title track, Fear Factory are clearly out from the start to rupture eardrums, set feet stomping and heads a-bangin'. Dino Cazares' guitar screeches like a cross between a buzzsaw and a pneumatic drill, with frantic palm-muted riffs followed by ringing chord thrashes sounding out over Raymond Herrera's insanely fast double-bass centred drumming. Burton C. Bell's gravelly vocals layer the whole thing while Christian Olde Wolbers lays down an assured bassline making the whole thing as heavy as a curry supper on a non-alcohol-drinker's stomach.

Other track highlights include the ferocious 'Replica', and 'Body Hammer' for the wondrous riff it contains. Also, special mention must go to 'Flashpoint' for the forbodingly sinister introduction, which builds up from a simple drum loop to include a malicious sounding bass riff before the guitar comes crashing in like a car through the front of a police station.

That reference to The Terminator is not entirely irrelevant, either. Film buffs may spot a track entitled 'H-K (Hunter-Killer)', which refers of course to the huge flying machines featured in the sci-fi movie. Also, the following track 'Pisschrist' features a sample easily recognisable from the soundtrack of the sequel!

The lyrical polemic of this album remains largely unchanged from that of previous release, 'Soul Of A New Machine' - i.e., the future and the moral implications of new technology are explored, this time round with the focus on the rise of the machines above humanity. Makes a nice change from the usual 'My life sucks, your life sucks, why don't we kill ourselves' theme of most modern metal bands.

Overall, and essential purchase for fans of the cyber-metal genre. A chance to check out the band responsible for such current luminaries as Apartment 26 and SpineShank, and an unrivalled oppurtunity to hear a cyber-metal cover of 'Dog Day Sunrise'. Buy it now.

I'm surpised. In two years, no one has commented on this wonderful review of an unbelievable album.