Fear Factory - "Replica" Cover ... ADVICE NEEDED!

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
Ok, first of all, this is not me playing... It's a friend of mine that wanted to shoot the shit for a bit and do a cover of one of his favorite FF songs, "Replica".

He's NEVER played to a click before and his picking technique creates a sort of phasing or scratching during the fast parts that I can't seem to get rid of. I'm going to have him re-track all of the guitars tighter and I'll need to do some editing, but is there any way to get rid of that pick sound without re-training his right hand all over?

I've tried using a de-esser but that didn't seem to work much. Any suggestions regarding that?

Also, any other advice regarding the mix you can provide would be great too! How do the drums and bass sound in the mix?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5218029/Replica_TestMix_v1.mp3

The overall mix is pretty scooped guitar wise because I was trying to re-create that digital Dino sound.

Gutiars are TSE808 - LeCto - and Recabinet 3

Thanks!

Haha I did this quick mix on my headphones and now that I'm re-listening on my monitors I'm realizing how loud the bass gtrs are. lol sorry

The things are really muffled and boomy. That guitar tone has too much gain and is very sloopy.

Yeah I agree. I think it's partially because the bass guitar is overpowering everything in the mix at the moment. Also, the guitar tone is really scooped, and the only way I was able to even get close to a digital sounding Dino guitar tone (without resorting to using my POD) was to turn the gain up and scoop it.

It also doesn't help that he's using a cheap Ibanez 7-string with stock pickups. I know those guitars can sound great in the hands of tight players, so I dunno. Perhaps I will have to re-record all the guitars myself and just not tell him. :lol:

The question is how do I get a thin scratchy digital tone like this without too much gain:

:lol:

I was messing around with this a bit this morning and re-recording parts of the rhythms, and it seems that me re-tracking is the only hope. The pick scratching issue and loose playing have decided it I guess. By the way, I re-tracked parts of the beginning a few moments ago (still working on it) and tracked with my LTD MH400NT with EMG 83's it sounds a shit ton better... I even kept the guitar tone the same. :lol: Ahhh... the difference pickups and playing can make! ;)

In the end I may have to end up re-amping the DI's through POD FARM to get that digital sound he has. Idk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dino's guitar tone sounds gainy but not overgained... i think a lot of presence and hard/sharp/precise pick attack is key and maybe a clean boost in front would help.

Also, the guitar tone in the original song sounds a bit chorusey, as if it was quadtracked with a EMG81-loaded guitar on some (57-miked) V30-loaded Marshall cab.

I often jam to that song, maybe i'll record a cover someday :)

Dino's guitar tone sounds gainy but not overgained... i think a lot of presence and hard/sharp/precise pick attack is key and maybe a clean boost in front would help.

Also, the guitar tone in the original song sounds a bit chorusey, as if it was quadtracked on some 57-miked V30-loaded Marshall cab.

I often jam to that song, maybe i'll record a cover someday :)

Perhaps I should upload the stems I have thus far, including a scratch midi track for those that want to make this a collaborative effort (including yourself!) :)

Perhaps I should upload the stems I have thus far, including a scratch midi track for those that want to make this a collaborative effort (including yourself!) :)

i think i have a GP file for that song, and i'm not sure i have the same tuning (i'm in C#, and IIRR it works for that song, but i think people use more 7 strings or other tunings these days) so i'll try to do do my own stems first :)

Still interested in your stems (hope it works with my tuning), at least to have a common basis for everyone who wants to give it a shot (Dino Cazares wannabe contest :) ).

This might help...

fearfactory_dino_1998.gif

EDIT: Sorry this image isn't on a white background. You can always open the image in a new tab and look at it that way to see the chain details clearly.

I'm going to try turning the gain down a bit and slapping a chorus in the chain. I'll post an updated clip later once I re-track the DI's or have him come back and re-track them tighter and cleaner. Thanks for everyone's input.

i think i have a GP file for that song, and i'm not sure i have the same tuning (i'm in C#, and IIRR it works for that song, but i think people use more 7 strings or other tunings these days) so i'll try to do do my own stems first :)

Still interested in your stems (hope it works with my tuning), at least to have a common basis for everyone who wants to give it a shot (Dino Cazares wannabe contest :) ).

Well, all I did for the drums was export the MIDI drum track from GP5 and then just align things for SD2.0. I'm also sending the kick and snare to a separate bus to trigger diff samples. So I can include the MIDI track and the drum stems for those that just want to work w/ the drum track as I have it already.

The bass guitar I tuned down to B and played it the same way as it is on guitar.

The lowest note in the song is C# anyway (I think), so I believe your tuning would work just fine with it.

This might help...

fearfactory_dino_1998.gif

I'm going to try turning the gain down a bit and slapping a chorus in the chain. I'll post an updated clip later once I re-track the DI's or have him come back and re-track them tighter and cleaner. Thanks for everyone's input.

Are you sure the chorus pedal was something he switched on for rythm parts ? I'd think it was only for some weird melodic parts here and there and that's it.
Interesting if he uses it for rythm though.

Well, all I did for the drums was export the MIDI drum track from GP5 and then just align things for SD2.0. I'm also sending the kick and snare to a separate bus to trigger diff samples. So I can include the MIDI track and the drum stems for those that just want to work w/ the drum track as I have it already.

The bass guitar I tuned down to B and played it the same way as it is on guitar.

The lowest note in the song is C# anyway (I think), so I believe your tuning would work just fine with it.

Ok good then. Can you upload the stems (drums, bass) and also the midi drums track (preferably GP, especially if you changed some stuff around after in your DAW to have it fit your own weird S2 drum map if you have one) ?

Here's the site I found the guitar chain picture on. There's some good ideas and discussion on what Dino used on this album and some ideas on how to recreate it.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com...actory-quot-Demanufacture-quot-tone..../page3

Yes, I will upload the various elements tonight for you and anyone else that wants to have a go with this.

Question though, do you think it would be better to create a new thread or just post them in this thread? Since this is now delving into the area of either mixing practice or collaboration, I'm almost thinking about starting a new thread and just putting a link to that in this thread.

Here's the site I found the guitar chain picture on. There's some good ideas and discussion on what Dino used on this album and some ideas on how to recreate it.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com...actory-quot-Demanufacture-quot-tone..../page3

Yes, I will upload the various elements tonight for you and anyone else that wants to have a go with this.

Question though, do you think it would be better to create a new thread or just post them in this thread? Since this is now delving into the area of either mixing practice or collaboration, I'm almost thinking about starting a new thread and just putting a link to that in this thread.

definitely a new thread :) (with a well-fitted title, a la "FF Replica guitar cover & mixing competition for Dino Cazares wannabees")

Nothing special....mids pretty scooped (2), gain at noon, highs and presence pronounced.
Sm57 not aiming the junction but more in the center of the cone (not 100%)