February 20th, 2003, 2307hrs

Stingray11214

OSA Triumvir
Oct 21, 2005
Where were you when you first heard of the event that was metal's darkest hour, 10 years ago today?

For those of you saying "What the *&(& is that ^&*%%^@ stingray talking about?", Let me show you the video. WARNING: This vid is NOT for the fainthearted.

Remember the dead, fight for the living! May those who lost their lives rest in peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel sick to my stomach. I'd never seen that entire video, and now I can't unsee it. My first thought was why the cameraman was still filming after five minutes and not assisting anyone. I guess he got in trouble as his radio station paid out a huge settlement for that very reason. Ever since that night, every club or show I've been to, which is pretty few actually, I look for each exit in advance and plan an escape route. After an event like this, how could I not?

I remember this well.
I am sure I first heard about it the next morning on BWBK or something.
The next night Friday Feb 21 I went to a show @ Rileys Rock house in Aurora (for those who don't know it was maybe a little smaller than what this venue appeared to be) to see Kataklysm and Dying Fetus.

I wasnt able to get in because they were fearful to let any more than about 200 or so in, following this tragedy.

Wow, I never would have guessed it has been 10 years already!!!

Horrifying, sickening and heartbreaking to see that. Never saw this footage before, just a short segment on the news of them on stage for a few seconds. Hope documenting this has helped make sure this doesn't happen again:(

Jason is correct....in Chicago lots of the smaller clubs were being watched because also after we had the other club incident in the SOuth Loop at a Hip-Hop Club which resulted in deaths as well. Literally clubs that used to oversell and get good crowds now had to follow the limit of capacity. I know a few shows where people couldnt get in because of fire codes.

Even stage shows by some bands had to change. I know Virgin Steele were not allowed to bring in the flaming sword to thier shows and bands who used fire breathing as well were told no by certain clubs. ( this is just stuff I read online so you know it has to be true )

It is nuts to see how fast that fire moved. I still cant see why anyone needed pyro's for a small club show. I remember the next day I think they were still not certain if one of the members of Great White even made it out because it was such mass confusion.

Every once in a while the Biography Channel shows this hour show on concert tragedies. They have this, the Dimebag shooting, and the Station 4 I think it is called here in Chicago on it. While the aftermath makes you look at it as "why did this happen", but before all these tradegies it was all just the norm for shows ( pyros at shows, over crowded venues....etc...)
This is why it is interesting to see people complain about rules at shows or events. No one ever thinks they will be a part of a tragedy like these. But did anyone at these shows think they would be a part of what happened to them?

But did anyone at these shows think they would be a part of what happened to them?

No. Still don't. I can think of a lot of shows I've been to where there were a ton of people there, and really crappy escape routes if something happened. Like, up several flights of stairs to get to street level. That would be an insane free for all.

It was painful to see those people all jammed up in the doorway, close to freedom, but stuck, and there were lots more right behind them. It was also crazy how quickly the smoke got thick inside. You can't see, can't breathe. It's definitely something to keep in mind when going to shows. You never know how something like that could start.

That video should not be posted anywhere...its bad karma.
I started to watch it and stopped at one minute...don't want to see it