axemaiden

makes you eat dead things
Aug 21, 2007
grendel's mothers cave
Final Aphorism - Past and Future Concentrate
Immortal Arts Records - 2006
By Axemaiden

past_and_future_concentrate.jpg

Past and Future Concentrate is the latest release from Austrian melodic death metal band Final Aphorism and I was eager to get my hands on it, having heard quite a lot of good reviews regarding this group. The first track 'Wesenheiten' sets a somewhat sombre and atmospheric mood with its eerie distorted chanting overlaid with melancholic folk style singing, this then kicks into a complex, heavy and almost bouncy set of guitar riffs interwoven with sinister and guttural vocals on the track 'Schattenkrieger'. As the song goes on, it becomes distinctly more pirate sea-shanty mixed with typically evil death metal drum and guitar licks (a very pleasing mix I may add) and the rest of the album seems to continue in this vein. It's a sort of mix of medieval bard music, jolly pirate shanties, traditional folk dances and nefarous death metal interspersed with eerie sound effects which makes it eminently listenable. If you like bands including Heidevolk, Korpiklaani, Amon Amarth, Finntroll and any other music which you are able to simultaneously dance to and break your neck moshing, you'll probably enjoy this album.

Official Final Aphorism Website
Official Final Aphorism Myspace