Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
nam001.jpg

Label: http://www.karmageddonmedia.com/
Release Date: August 24, 2004
Home Page: http://www.final-dawn.com/

These days it’s hard to swing a dead cat (one of my favorite pastimes) without hitting a Scandinavian Melodic Death Metal band. These bands rarely bring anything unique to the genre, in respect to sound or style. However, occasionally one comes along that at least blends an interesting pool of influences, to deliver something entertaining. Enter Finland’s FINAL DAWN.

After kicking around the scene for about four years, and releasing a handful of demos, FINAL DAWN finally secured a record deal with New Aeon Media, a sub label of Karmageddon Media. Their first full length release, Under the Bleeding Sky, contains eight tracks, five of which appeared on previously released demos.

While FINAL DAWN’s sound isn’t exactly what I would call distinctive, it does offer an intriguing blend of influences. After spinning Under the Bleeding Sky once or twice, you get the sense that these guys were weaned on everything from AMON AMARTH to SENTENCED, MEGADEATH to DARK TRANQUILLITY. And while the overall song quality rarely reaches the heights attained by the aforementioned bands, FINAL DAWN occasionally manages to deliver moments of Metal that are just crushing.

Under the Bleeding Sky begins powerfully with the spine-damaging “Solemn Art”. “Doze”, the third track, sounds as if it would fit well on AMON AMARTH’s Fate of Norns. Vocalist Vesa Mattila, who never strays from his Death growls, often sounds as if he’s channeling the spirit of Johan of AMON AMARTH. However, he alters his delivery with each song. There are moments when his vox are more reminiscent of Kirk’s from DEATH MACHINE, and at other times he reminds me of Mikael from DARK TRANQUILLITY.

Perhaps FINAL DAWN’s greatest strength lies with its guitar player, Marko Leiviskä. Leiviskä’s rhythm play is excellent, and his lead work is mature beyond his years. If FINAL DAWN can manage to harness all that they have going for them, and grow more consistent with their songwriting, they will almost certainly become a force to be reckoned with.

Rating: 6/10
Reviewer: General Zod

'tis funny how I guessed this was a Gothenburg type band only from the band and album names, without knowing anything about them before...