finding new bands/ how did you come accross WoY

i first found out about WoY on musician forums (i no longer participate there...). i didnt get into them until around a year ago, though (after i saw them at DOTA).

I first heard "Crossing the 45th Parallel" on the Knuckletracks XLVII that came out with BWBK Issue #66. Around the same time, there was a buzz on the Braveboard about "A Meeting Place and Time" and sometime thereafter (don't really know when) I ordered the Against the Seasons demo from Mr. Gold. I've been hooked ever since.

The Braveboard, Unrestrained! Magazine, Metal Maniacs, and surfing the web pretty much keep me up to date on bands.

I have come across most of the music I listen to on music forums.

Woods Of Ypres I came across from a friend in Edmonton, I asked him if he knew any bands that where black metal that had more then the typical black metal sound and he set me "Dragged Across a Forest Floor" and I was pleasantly surprised.

Pale-Folklore said:
i first found out about WoY on musician forums (i no longer participate there...). i didnt get into them until around a year ago, though (after i saw them at DOTA).

I used to post there every once in a while. Interesting forum. I was [Shadowfox]. I don't think I ever got above 100 posts.

I found out about WoY through Myspace. They sent me a friend request and I dug the sound.

an Opeth fan forum. someone posted a link to download Pursuit of the Sun saying they had a sound similar to Opeth (kind of true, but still distict for sure) so I then bought Against the Seasons and now WoY is one of my favourite bands.

There was a message in someones Sig about WoY and it interested me, but I didnt really do anything about it. Then someone wrote a review for a zine I used to write for so I DLed Against the Seasons and enjoyed it, but didnt really listen to it after that. But later on I ordered it from The End and gave it some good listens... yeah... Been a fan ever since.

They were posted about on the SMN News general discussion board so I checked 'em out.

To find out about new bands, I either go toSMN News or GameFaqs, that or I happen to come across one on MySpace.

i find out new bands from reviews from webzines/fanzines,mags etc..even messageboards.

i first heard WOY when i played them on my college radio show and was really impressed with music.i had earlier read about them in some magazine.
i then got in touch with David for an interview and even did a radio interview with him earlier this year.

I was doing a search on eBay for Agalloch or Ulver or something (their demo tapes will be mine one day, goddammit), and Woods of Ypres came up in a listing. Because of that association, and cause I also thought it was an interesting name, I decided that I needed to find out more. :) Picked up a copy of "Pursuit..." from The End not long after.

zekeyou said:
I first heard "Crossing the 45th Parallel" on the Knuckletracks XLVII that came out with BWBK Issue #66. Around the same time, there was a buzz on the Braveboard about "A Meeting Place and Time" and sometime thereafter (don't really know when) I ordered the Against the Seasons demo from Mr. Gold. I've been hooked ever since.

The Braveboard, Unrestrained! Magazine, Metal Maniacs, and surfing the web pretty much keep me up to date on bands.

Exactly the same for me.

Actually, I also discovered a good band through the metal digital cable radio channel before Rogers got rid of it. It was a cool song called "Creeperia" by The Bronx Casket Co.

Hmm, I believe it was from Dark Forest's (Great band) My Space page. I was browing the friend's list and came across Woods. Within a day I was torturing mom to get a money order and send it to Mr Gold.

I also found it on a forum... opeth i think. A quick trip to the WoY myspace was all it a took. A few bars was all i needed to hear

Peterk said:
i find out new bands from reviews from webzines/fanzines,mags etc..even messageboards.

i first heard WOY when i played them on my college radio show and was really impressed with music.i had earlier read about them in some magazine.
i then got in touch with David for an interview and even did a radio interview with him earlier this year.

ooo, whats your radio show? i'd like to listen to it