\m/Misanthropic Hippy\m/
Nov 11, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
Firebird – 31/05/2004 – Live at Whelan’s, Dublin
Support from: Revile, The 9ine
By Paddy Walsh
Photos by Simon Ward

Bill Steer needs little introduction, being something of a legend in his own right due to writing some of the best death metal tunes ever with the mighty Carcass. Since their split, he has been keeping himself busy with Firebird, a band as far removed from his former group as you could imagine. Firebird play bluesy stoner rock with the 70s on their minds, but thankfully we get to see Steer's talents on full display tonight, even if they're used to different effect.

First up, however, is Ireland's own Revile. Having been left somewhat underwhelmed by the melodic metal/ hard rock stylings of their recent High Tide EP, I wasn't exactly enthusiastic about their presence on this bill. However, they prove to be a better proposition live, their songs sounding much heavier, and simply better, in this setting. The vocals, possibly the weakest link on their EP, sound greatly improved live, although I still wish the singer would inject a little more variety. Still, Revile are worthy openers all the same.

firebird3.jpg

Firebird

Next up are Welsh five-piece The 9ine with their enjoyable brand of hard rock. Occasional forays into psychedelic territory give them a bit of distinctiveness, not to mention some great riffs to boot. A little work on the somewhat derivative vocals and a some more imaginative use of those decks and we might have a band worth going to see on their own.

firebird2.jpg

Firebird

Having only heard a few Firebird tracks via their website, I was unsure what to expect. Well, my anxiety proves unfounded, as Firebird sound fantastic. Despite being only a three piece, Bill Steer manages to command the kind of power from his guitar that most bands with two guitarists would be unable to match. This guy sure knows how to pen a catchy tune too, and I would hasten to add that watching the band while not nodding one's head is simply impossible. The solos (there are tons of them) are awesome too, Steer truly knows his instrument inside out. The drumming of Alan French is solid throughout, and he even has a few moments of showmanship himself. Bassist Al Steer proves to be very capable, and as a whole the band exude a chemistry and tightness perhaps indicative of Bill Steer's experience as a musician. With the mainstream currently fawning itself over awful shite like The Darkness, it is criminal that a band of Firebird's calibre are so overlooked. If you're going to have a retro revival then fine, but at least have some decent bands leading the fray, and Firebird proved tonight that they are definitely at the top of the heap when it comes to that.

Just saw Firebird again in their stronghold of Belfast.

Hopefully this wee link will work for those interested. It's taken of my DVD I was allowed to film. I have compressed one song for the internet to give you all a sample.

Hopefully this link here works:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ifihadafish6/Firebird.wmv

and if that doesnt then go to:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ifihadafish/

and click the link underneath Bill Steers picture which is on the left side of my homepage.

Will be interesting to see if it works!

Firebird play big riff rock just like the old masters used to do in the 70's. Check them out and I hope you enjoy.

The clip is heavily compressed but still is decent enough for a sample.

Just saw Firebird again in their stronghold of Belfast.

Hopefully this wee link will work for those interested. It's taken of my DVD I was allowed to film. I have compressed one song for the internet to give you all a sample.

Hopefully this link here works:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ifihadafish6/Firebird.wmv

and if that doesnt then go to:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ifihadafish/

and click the link underneath Bill Steers picture which is on the left side of my homepage.

Will be interesting to see if it works!

Firebird play big riff rock just like the old masters used to do in the 70's. Check them out and I hope you enjoy.

The clip is heavily compressed but still is decent enough for a sample.