Firewire pci for focusrite saffire 24

reneisgod

Rene
Aug 28, 2006
Scotland
en-gb.facebook.com
Play it safe, get a TI chipset. I've had nothing but problems with everything else so far. Getting a TI chipset fixed everything.

Definitely, don't cheap out it's not worth it - Firewire is a finicky medium for audio at the best of times.

And that link seems pretty good - I bought a belkin one and it did cost a fair deal more than that.

just another quicky, ive been reading alot of mixed reviews on the pro 24
and its DI capabilities (hi-z)

alot of owners have complained on this forum about the input clipping with active pickups, and the fact the pro 24 doesnt have a ''pad'' option to compensate for the gain creates a problem.

then again i have read other reviews saying that in fact there are no clipping issues with the pro 24 and active pick ups.

so what is the deal here?

will i need to use a DI before going into the hi-z with active pickups
or is this just alot of bullshit?

cheers again chaps

depends alot on the pickups. active ones (emg, bass-pus ect) works fine here, because the output-signal is limited/clipped on emgs, so no peaks who clipp the preamp.
but passive pu`s with strong picking => clipping (saffire pro24, no PAD-switch avaible)
i use a self-build impedance-convertor + attunator in front(-6dB i think), now it works without clipping.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/667412-focusrite-saffire-question.html

cool, that will do me fine as i don't use passive pups.
i was thinking about trying out the 18v mod on my emg 81
ive heard it gives a more passive feeling to the sound, will this be likely
to cause clipping on the pro 24 hi-z inputs?

sorry, no idea how much the headroom of the emg`s will be increased if you run them at 18V, i sold all my guitars with emgs.

cheers!

just another quicky, ive been reading alot of mixed reviews on the pro 24
and its DI capabilities (hi-z)

alot of owners have complained on this forum about the input clipping with active pickups, and the fact the pro 24 doesnt have a ''pad'' option to compensate for the gain creates a problem.

then again i have read other reviews saying that in fact there are no clipping issues with the pro 24 and active pick ups.

so what is the deal here?

will i need to use a DI before going into the hi-z with active pickups
or is this just alot of bullshit?

cheers again chaps

I STRONGLY recommend to try before buy, if you can. My Saffire LE (which is basically the same as Pro 24, minus ADAT) clips even with passive PRS pickups (HFS), if I strum hard. Had to buy DI box because of that.

Concerning the FW card: http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/var/attachments/Focusrite_IEEE_1394_compatibility.pdf