First attempt at Low Vox

joe_04_04

Feb 24, 2011
In my project, I normally do all the midi programming, symphonic orchestration, write riffs, lyrics, solos and harmonies....and my friend does the vocals, but for fun I wanted to try something I have been tryin to do lately. It isn't quite what it should be because I just couldn't perform as well in front of the mic as I could away from it...even though its my fricken home studio and I was the only one here!!! Either way, its my first attempt at low vox. I don't wanna call it "growls/gutturals/slams/brees/pigs/anyofthatshit" cause I dont really know..it may sound like shit to you and thats fine, I need your honest advice. Also, if any of you know what style of vocals this is in regards to technique, let me know. This is a rough vox mix that was geared towards hearing it in the headphones so the vocals are going to be ridiculously loud. This isn't the final mix at all.. and its only like 20 seconds long cause if I decide to actually do it, itll be a short feature and I'm going to redo it hopefully better.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5129928/Vindication Joey Test.mp3

"Your twisted actions derailed the thought of lasting peace
You had time to rectify
I have begun my diagnosis
And your all fit for failure"

Be brutally honest, I need it.

It sounds cool dude. Have you any experience with singing or this is your first try?
The vocal mix is a little bit wet thought.

I've been doing vocals for years and I can't get that low. So sure that's good for a first timer.

To me it sounds a little bit like you don't have power behind that scream. And also like there's an effect on? But I'm sure you'll get it right.

There's normal eq and compression....then its being sent to a delay and a tiny hint of distortion, mostly to act as a huge limiter, but also for effect. Oh and the doubler.

Yeah, I'm still learning the technique so I'm not quite as powerful as I'd like to be, also like I said I was pretty nervous that I was actually committing this to hard drive...

Also, I have had experience trying to do growls in the past, but I was using the all out scream method...you know..the no-technique-technique..and I wasn't able to go low enough or get enough distortion to satisfy my. I stumbled upon this one day while messing around and have been trying to refine it for about a month...I'm going to keep practicing to get more distortion, control and such, but this was my first attempt at recording it.

Been my experience that the lower you go, the tougher it is to get a decent volume. If you can stay that low, stay in key and project your voice well enough then by all means go for it. Just remember that studio and live settings are gonna be a huge difference. Sounds good though.