First mix I've posted in a loonnnggg time

[UEAK]Clowd

Apr 29, 2008
unfortunately due to time/budget/skill constraints we had to program these drums so they are like.... ehhh. they could be more "exciting". but what can you do.

but I still think it came out pretty respectable. would love to get some opinions from you guys. Mastering chain isn't final yet but I think I'm pretty close on the mix unless you guys hear something I missed.

ps this is like rock with a girl singer, it's got a few heavy moments but it definitely doesn't bring the br00talz

duhhh haha forgot the link

http://gamesiren.com/fhd/FML2.mp3

While I don't think this will exactly be everyone's cup of tea around here, I quite like it. I'm on my 3rd listen right now. I like it. At least for now, I've got nothing to pick at. Great job on this.

damnit guys!! tell me to fix something!

lol no I'm kidding much appreciated guys :)

seriously though I suck. I have no clue what I am doing. It's so hard to get the low end right.

I'd have 2 cups of this! This has the drive i look on mixes and so vain try to achieve myself! Really nice work.

wow you really think so? thanks man. I feel like it(or any other mix i do) has way less drive/"energy" than the big boy's mixes(like bendeth) but I can't tell why or how to fix it. maybe it's just cause I'm too close to the project

I'd say the vocals need some deessing, sounds kinda harsh there; but I like the rest of the mix.

I was worried about that. I'm trying to get that thing going on like in radio mixes where the vocals are airy as shit but not harsh. it's pretty challenging.

[UEAK]Clowd;9556864 said:
wow you really think so? thanks man. I feel like it(or any other mix i do) has way less drive/"energy" than the big boy's mixes(like bendeth) but I can't tell why or how to fix it. maybe it's just cause I'm too close to the project

I liked it because it didn't sound JUST like all the mixes in here. And that's not because it lacks something cuz it really don't. It just made me want top listen it more. It was fresh to me and had all the elements that is. :)

[UEAK]Clowd;9556976 said:
I was worried about that. I'm trying to get that thing going on like in radio mixes where the vocals are airy as shit but not harsh. it's pretty challenging.

Best thing to do is to deess the vocals pretty hard, then boost the highs a lot, then stage compressors so it sounds real good in the end. Let me check if I can find Ermz's post about it, he gave awesome advice a while back.

edit : http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/642474-need-help-vocal-chain-2.html#post9511942 here, this might help

Best thing to do is to deess the vocals pretty hard, then boost the highs a lot, then stage compressors so it sounds real good in the end. Let me check if I can find Ermz's post about it, he gave awesome advice a while back.

edit : http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/642474-need-help-vocal-chain-2.html#post9511942 here, this might help

thanks dude

interestingly enough, that's pretty much what I'm doing - although I don't have the saturation going on. maybe I'm going too overboard with the high boost and/or doing the wrong frequencies?

I'm afraid I can't be of much help except than telling you to experiment with the boost's frequency/amount of deessing/etc. Saturation could help smooth those highs a little bit though.

In each mix I did since I applied this technique, the vocals turned out great, it's just a matter of tinkering a bit to fit the source the best way possible.

Everything's balanced pretty nicely, and it's a good mix, but there are a few things:

The cymbals (Sup2.0?) are piercing.. way too bright IMO, especially that crash on the right, the hats aren't too bad.
The drums could be a bit punchier. Ton of room, which is really cool, but there's not a WHOLE lot of attack. During the verses it's fine but in the chorus it needs a bit more.
That snare fill at the start sounds really fake. Velocities, or if its real and triggered, work a bit with it.

The rest sounds pretty good. It's still not as exciting or punchy as a Bendeth production, but its more 'wall-of-sound'.

Everything's balanced pretty nicely, and it's a good mix, but there are a few things:

The cymbals (Sup2.0?) are piercing.. way too bright IMO, especially that crash on the right, the hats aren't too bad.
The drums could be a bit punchier. Ton of room, which is really cool, but there's not a WHOLE lot of attack. During the verses it's fine but in the chorus it needs a bit more.
That snare fill at the start sounds really fake. Velocities, or if its real and triggered, work a bit with it.

The rest sounds pretty good. It's still not as exciting or punchy as a Bendeth production, but its more 'wall-of-sound'.

the cymbals are actually a few different things... we realized mid-tracking that the drummer just could not do it. not even close. that crash is actually his real crash, the hihats and some other accent crashes are from one of Joey's pack and certain hihat parts are his real hihat. it was a ghetto-fangled mess for sure.

thanks for the advice man! wish I could figure out how to get that "Excitement" !!!