first posted mix

Jrich4967

Sep 26, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Been lurking here for a while, decided to join, and now im getting the guts to post a mix of mine. my main problem is that no matter how hard i try, i cant get the kick to cut through, and the snare sounds empty. anytime i try to make the snare more full, it starts clouding up the kick a little bit. but idk, ive been mixing this without some fresh ears, so im gonna attempt tomorrow to see if i can get anything better. also, the middle guitar gets buried when the other guitars come in, but is almost too loud when they arent there. i was thinking about doing some automation there though.
What do you guys think?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23461345/Face to face new mix.mp3

edit: just realized that the drums didnt completely render out, so they arent all there. will be posting an update soon..

The drums tend to get buried, sound a little too pushed-back and reverby, and sound a bit robotic. Sounds like overall the drums could use less verb, some SSL comp'ing and some EQ shaping. The guitars sound gritty (probably overgained or too much presence) and a little nasally. I might try using something else for drums if you have it, but if all you have is SD2 then work with what you got.

for sure, thanks man. im gonna take away some of the presence from the guitars, the gain is already low with a tube screamer at the beginning, so ill turn down the gain on that. ill look into trying some different things for the drums. its weird that you say that it has too much reverb, because im not using any on it, but ill see what i can do. any suggestions on helping the drums not be buried? i mean, if i turn down the guitars any more, they sound buried too =\

decided to venture back to my bands mix. we got a new vocalist and have yet to record him, so im putting what i did so far up.

here is what i did
replaced kick, snare and toms with i think sneap samples, edited the tone of the guitars to have less distortion up front, and more distortion behind the mix, edited bass tones, and took out the horrible screams

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you using for guitar processing?
Think you could do better there.
Overall, the mix sounds thin & lacking in low end.
The guitars are really highpassed, and the bass guitar is not providing the low end. There is some high pitched noise about half way thru when the left guitar stops (unless it's my headphones), can you fix that?

Music is really cool, keep at it.
Suggestion:
If you're using an ampsim, try something different. Or, post eq the guitars to add some lows back in, bring up the bass guitar & possibly add some low boost to fill the missing lows.