First rehearsal-records

KHE

Mar 5, 2009
switzerland
Hi everyone,
after a lot of reading here, this is my first post. absolutly awesome what your guys are doing! :) now, my band try to record some band-rehearsals.
We equip our rehearsal with some recoring-stuff. The goal is to made some demo-records for us (caputring ideas ect).
Im new in the recording-buissnes, so i would like to get some feedback of my work.
Here ist he first song im working on, but be prepared, it sounds absolutly horrible compared to all other mixes here... :D
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5298811/2010-06-03_M1.wav

The whole band played together, i just hit the record-button while practising. It`s a very new one, so please excuse the sloppy playing (there are a lot of errors) ;)

Technical details:
Guitars were recorded from amplifiers Line-out, fitted with a IR-response. Some LP/HP.
Bass from amplifiers line-out with some compression and eq.
Drums are all „real“, no replacing / sampling. Some comp and eq over them. I know, some of the toms are horrorbly out-of-tune…

Equipment:
Mixer / Interface is a Phonic Helix24 USB / FW-Interface. Drum-mics are a cheap samson 7-kit 2 sm75 on top/bottom of the snare . Guitaramps: Recto and a Laboga Mr. Hector. 7-String-Guitars, standart-tuning

What do you think about the mix? Any feedback is welcome!

If someone would like to mix this song by its own, here are the tracks: (350mb) would be very cool if someone takes some time and shows me what is possible with this tracks!
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5298811/2010-06-03_tracks.rar

I`m new into the recording-buissnes, so i have nearly no idea what im doing ;) I`m shure i`ve done all the misstakes and no-go`s for recording. if you hear or see some of them, please let me know ;)

I know we have a lot to practisie because our crappy playing, and our recording-equipment isn`t that good.
again, the goal is not to create "studio-like" recordings, only some good demo-records for us.

ok, thanks a lot for reading / listening! any help/critique is very appreciated! :)
and sorry for my bad english, this isn`t my native language...

best greetigns from switzerland,
khe

just from the line-out of the bass-amp into the mixer. Bass-Amp is a markbass little mark2 ii.

regards, khe

is it pre or post on the amp? try sending it pre because it sounds processed like shit from the amp.

hi cris,

thanks for your comment!
i think the line-out is post-routet in this amplifier. i will try to record the bass with a DI-box to get the dry-signal.

what do you think about the overall mix?

regards, khe

all things considered it's pretty good, in terms of demo quality I'd say it's perfectly fine to get your stuff out there and heard. Of course it isn't really close to a professional release but who cares about that anyway when it was done for free, there's a reason why that stuff costs money! I think as you progress and get better equipment along with improving on your skills you can develop a pretty decent ability at mixing.

hi chris,

thanks a lot :)

at this time, i don`t want spend too much money for "better" recording-equimpent, because i think i better learn how to use the given gear, even if its not that great. I`m shure that there is much more possible with our gear ;)
but maybe some better monitors...

i know there are so many great plugins ect. out there, but for the beginning, i try to keep things simple, to much of this stuff confuses me and and they dont make my mixes better, because i don`t know how to use them.

but, if you hear my latest mix, could you point on some things, which i should make better?
personally, i think that there is too much mud in the mids, and i don`t really like the snare-sound.

tonight, we will record some other songs, i will post them later... :)

thanks a lot for your feedback!
best greetings from switzerland,
khe