First time doing drum editing

K Odell

\=/Varnisher\=/
Jan 23, 2006
Greensboro, NC
Not really having a whole lot of problems with the kick and such, but what I am wondering is what is your normal work flow for the overheads as far as editing goes?

Use EQ, compression and sidechaining if necessary to get the snare out of there. I usually find a little cut around 2.3kHz or so with a not-so-narrow Q will get the bulk of the fundamental freq's of the snare out of the OH tracks, as well as hats and ride. You'll know when you have cut too much when the brass starts sounding really bad. Usually a comp, not set too hard, will take care of the rest, taming the transients that bled into the mics. If that doesn't get you where you want it to be, then sidechaining to a gate and ducking the snare out is the only other option really, and usually sounds the best as well. Straight up cutting hits out of OHs will be extremely tedious and often ends up sounding wierd anyway.

~006

always edit drums as a group.

what are the problems in the overhead mics that need to be overcome?

drum editing teaches me a lot about what mics to use on the kit, specifically which ones are useless and require hours of fixing before I finally just sample replace. Can't do that with overheads though.

Just split and slide, using crossfades. Not really much more to it. I've had to redo entire segments of overheads with cymbal/drum samples before when the drummer played the wrong cymbal. Fun stuff.

the drums are so bad guys. you just have no idea. Like I said before they tracked them at some studio with some dude and man they are horrendous. I posted a clip here at my soundclick page of the Raw kick track for the song they sent me. I literally said to myself "this is really going to suck".
www.soundclick.com/tonetest