Flannel, shag carpeting, and a Princess Leah cardboard cutout

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So I'm doing my nightly routine of scouring Youtube for some pipe tobacco reviews and I come across what could possibly be the coolest/most hilarious Youtube video of all time.

Enjoy.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZIPoT4wcxU&feature=related[/ame]

goddamn that butane's gotta taste horrible. He's scorching that bowl. Is that how you're supposed to smoke pipe tobacco?

goddamn that butane's gotta taste horrible. He's scorching that bowl. Is that how you're supposed to smoke pipe tobacco?

Kevin you're quite right. Many many pipe smokers use a butane lighter because it burns the tobacco more quickly and deeply, resulting in fewer relights. It doesn't burn your fingers and it's good for a quick smoke. It's becoming quite the norm.

However...

What they don't understand is that a butane lighter is as hot as the sun when it burns. Pipe tobacco burns at a temperature between 500-800 degrees Celsius, and a butane lighter burns at about 2000 degrees Celsius. The moment it touches the tobacco, it basically scorches it and can definitely color the flavor drastically, which is why most people use a normal lighter or matches. I prefer matches but they aren't always available so I'll use the average Bic lighter. You just gotta be careful and keep your fingers out of the way. There are also disposable lighters that light from the side of the top so you don't have to turn it upside down.

Good catch!