Fleshgod Apocalypse's Drummer

Erkan

mr-walker.bandcamp
Jun 16, 2008
Uppsala, Sweden
mr-walker.bandcamp.com
Apparently, this guy was the singer in some former band and started playing drums because there were lack of drummers at the time they formed Fleshgod Apocalypse. The word is that he's been playing drums for just about one year so far and he already plays like this:

Sure, it may be a pretty boring style but you don't need much else for the type of music Fleshgod Apocalypse plays. This just makes me want to kill myself... one year of drumming doesn't improve me much at all and some people just shoot up like a rocket in one year! God damn!

Last edited by a moderator:
it's actually less than 1 year dude.. 6-7 months if i remember well it's a friend of mine and he used to train every morning for 2/3 hours 6 days at week. Even if it's mostly about practise it's still not for everyone. obviously he developed only the necessary skills to play their songs.

I still think if you can't get better at something either:

A) You're technique is wrong.

B) You're not practicing enough.

C) You're not pushing yourself hard enough.

I'm reading Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers: The True Story of Success right now, a nice extract:

Exhibit A in the talent argument is a study done in
the early 1990s by the psychologist K. Anders Ericsson
and two colleagues at Berlin's elite Academy of Music.
With the help of the Academy's professors, they divided
the school's violinists into three groups. In the first group
were the stars, the students with the potential to become
world-class soloists. In the second were those judged to
be merely "good." In the third were students who were
unlikely to ever play professionally and who intended
to be music teachers in the public school system. All of
the violinists were then asked the same question: over the
course of your entire career, ever since you first picked up
the violin, how many hours have you practiced?
Everyone from all three groups started playing at
roughly the same age, around five years old. In those first
few years, everyone practiced roughly the same amount,
about two or three hours a week. But when the students
were around the age of eight, real differences started to
emerge. The students who would end up the best in their
class began to practice more than everyone else: six hours
a week by age nine, eight hours a week by age twelve, sixteen
hours a week by age fourteen, and up and up, until by
the age of twenty they were practicing—that is, purposefully
and single-mindedly playing their instruments with
the intent to get better—well over thirty hours a week. In
fact, by the age of twenty, the elite performers had each
totaled ten thousand hours of practice. By contrast, the
merely good students had totaled eight thousand hours,
and the future music teachers had totaled just over four
thousand hours.

Ericsson and his colleagues then compared amateur
pianists with professional pianists. The same pattern
emerged. The amateurs never practiced more than about
three hours a week over the course of their childhood, and
by the age of twenty they had totaled two thousand hours
of practice. The professionals, on the other hand, steadily
increased their practice time every year, until by the age of
twenty they, like the violinists, had reached ten thousand
hours.

The striking thing about Ericsson's study is that he
and his colleagues couldn't find any "naturals," musicians
who floated effortlessly to the top while practicing a fraction
of the time their peers did. Nor could they find any
"grinds," people who worked harder than everyone else, yet
just didn't have what it takes to break the top ranks. Their
research suggestes that once a musician has enough ability
to get into a top music school, the thing that distinguishes
one performer from another is how hard he or she works.
That's it. And what's more, the people at the very top don't
work just harder or even much harder than everyone else.
They work much, much harder.

The idea that excellence at performing a complex task
requires a critical minimum level of practice surfaces again
and again in studies of expertise. In fact, researchers have
settled on what they believe is the magic number for true
expertise: ten thousand hours.

"The emerging picture from such studies is that ten
thousand hours of practice is required to achieve the level
of mastery associated with being a world-class expert—in
anything," writes the neurologist Daniel Levitin. "In
study after study, of composers, basketball players, fiction
writers, ice skaters, concert pianists, chess players, master
criminals, and what have you, this number comes up
again and again. Of course, this doesn't address why some
people get more out of their practice sessions than others
do. But no one has yet found a case in which true worldclass
expertise was accomplished in less time. It seems that
it takes the brain this long to assimilate all that it needs to
know to achieve true mastery."

what about those freaks who master piano @ 8 years?

Well that'd take 10 hours a day over the course of two and a half years to master something apparently. One would assume its because their concentration span is so great that they can pull focus for that long even at that age.

That is not to say that they truly master it though, physically maybe, compositionally or artistically after they leave their age behind they are nothing but a regular person who is very good at the piano - and you most likely will never hear of them again.

Öwen;8726108 said:
Well that'd take 10 hours a day over the course of two and a half years to master something apparently. One would assume its because their concentration span is so great that they can pull focus for that long even at that age.

That is not to say that they truly master it though, physically maybe, compositionally or artistically after they leave their age behind they are nothing but a regular person who is very good at the piano - and you most likely will never hear of them again.

have to agree. i think this is even worse than being just a normal kid. I enjoyed being a stupid kid.

it's actually less than 1 year dude.. 6-7 months if i remember well it's a friend of mine and he used to train every morning for 2/3 hours 6 days at week. Even if it's mostly about practise it's still not for everyone. obviously he developed only the necessary skills to play their songs.

You know this guy? Hell, say hi from me! Haha. Anyway, 6-7 months you say? That is just IN-FUCKING-SANE. Makes me wanna sell my drums entirely... holy shit (well, not really)!

Öwen;8726088 said:
I still think if you can't get better at something either:

A) You're technique is wrong.

B) You're not practicing enough.

C) You're not pushing yourself hard enough.

I'm reading Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers: The True Story of Success right now, a nice extract:

Dude, that was a nice read. I hope it's true what it says! I can admit I'm guilty as charged when it comes to not practising enough. I haven't practised like I used to in about 1,5 years now. I used to practise routinely, a couple of hours a few times a week so it would total in about 6 hours a week atleast. Shit, if I have to step it up to 10 hours a week, I'm gonna get busier than humanly possible :|

You know this guy? Hell, say hi from me! Haha. Anyway, 6-7 months you say? That is just IN-FUCKING-SANE. Makes me wanna sell my drums entirely... holy shit (well, not really)!

haha , will do when i see him again. It's long time I don't see them since they are in tour 30 days/month. :) I'll try to bring him here when i have to chance

haha , will do when i see him again. It's long time I don't see them since they are in tour 30 days/month. :) I'll try to bring him here when i have to chance

Oh that would be AWESOME! Would be really cool if he stopped by the forum to explain what planet he comes from and what socks he is wearing while practising drums. I'm suspecting my socks are the reason why I'm not at his level of speed :(

Haha =)

Dude, that was a nice read. I hope it's true what it says! I can admit I'm guilty as charged when it comes to not practising enough. I haven't practised like I used to in about 1,5 years now. I used to practise routinely, a couple of hours a few times a week so it would total in about 6 hours a week atleast. Shit, if I have to step it up to 10 hours a week, I'm gonna get busier than humanly possible :|

I've been shooting for about 8 to 10 hours a day (on days I'm not at college) as of a few days ago - thats Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday.

I literally turn off all distractions and just sit and focus on the guitar. I started at 9am this morning and worked for the past 4 and a half hours, it requires a great amount of concentration (that I feel I haven't quite attained yet) - I'm calling this a break as a reward at the moment. :lol:

I just thought it was time to stop browsing the interwebs all day and actually get really good at something and I would like to believe that my ability is directly related to the amount of effort I put in - if I'm being honest with myself I've been the worlds laziest guitarist for the last six odd years and it was time to step up to the plate.

Results so far look promising, I'm just hoping that it doesn't suck the fun out of it too much, but I feel as long as I keep learning and can see myself progressing it most likely won't. :loco:

His fills are pretty inconsistent, plus he might fuck his wrists up at some point, holding the sticks like that. That comes from personal experience and it's been a pain to fix :lol: it might work for him though, so I'm not going to say it's wrong.

That said, he's pretty fucking fast, and that's amazing for someone who's only been playing for one year.