Floor & Troy are here to stay!

St Enigma

Sep 11, 2005
Source:
www.nightwish.com

Press release // October 9th 2013

Ms. Floor Jansen is a keeper.

Also, we will be a six-piece band from now on, as Mr. Troy Donockley (uilleann pipes, low whistles, vocals) will become a full-time member of NIGHTWISH.

Originally we were going to wait until 2014 to make a decision about the future line-up of the band, but the past year has clearly shown us that Floor and Troy are perfect matching pieces to our puzzle, and we are really grateful of the bond that has grown between all of us. We love you guys.

Tuomas
Marco
Jukka
Emppu

Commented vocalist Floor Jansen: "Words cannot describe what I feel! This union is beyond everything and I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to continue this amazing journey with my new brothers! Once I had a dream…and this is it!!!"

Piper/whistleman, added vocalist Troy Donockley: "`Imaginaerum World Tour´was a revelation to me and in that time, I became aware of a growing unity and then, finally, a transcendence of all the usual nonsense that affects bands. A beautiful process. And since the idea, the musical dream that is NIGHTWISH has been a part of me since before I was born, I am delighted to officially sail into uncharted waters with my brothers and sister. Wondrous scenes Ahoy! "

The new line-up can be seen on the live / tour documentary DVD »Showtime, Storytime«, released on November 29th.

Watch a brand new trailer, directed by Ville Lipiäinen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_czsLPig_0s&feature=youtu.be

Preorder »Showtime, Storytime« at:
the official Nightwish Shop at: http://shop.nightwish.com (Shipping worldwide!)
or from http://smarturl.it/NIGHTWISHShowtime

www.nightwish.com | www.facebook.com/nightwish | www.nuclearblast.de/nightwish

Not really surprising news, I think :Smokedev:

For some reason I was thinking about Troy before I heard the news. I think its good they make him a member, he has been there at every concert but when the tour started people seemed to be walking past him at signings and things.
But the way they put that advert for the DVD in the same press release? Don’t like that

Yeah, I feel the same way, but on the other hand, what better way to induct the two new members into the group than by way of the live DVD they all made together?

And not everyone passed by on Troy at the signings...where do you think he got his OSA shirt? ;)

Edit: Here is the trailer for the upcoming DVD. Enjoy!

I really hate that I can't embed the YouTube video in the posts anymore. Grrr!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_czsLPig_0s&feature=youtu.be

I haven't seen this interview from Soundi magazine anywhere in English yet, so consider it a small thank you for all the nice conversations with OSAers during the last few years. (Original here http://www.soundi.fi/uutiset/nightwishin-kokoonpano-muuttuu-lue-marco-hietalan-tuoreet-kommentit) Edit: people were asking for a translation in the official forum as well, so I decided to share it there as well - but you got it first ;)

Nightwish lineup changes–read Marco Hietala’s fresh comments!

Nightwish has officially hired their new vocalist and her name is Floor Jansen. A surprise? Hardly, at least not for many.

Let’s think about it for a moment: When Tarja Turunen was fired from the band from Kitee back in the day, Nightwish decided to find a new figurehead on the ‘free market’. The band received more than two thousand demos of extremely varying quality from ladies aspiring to become the new main vocalist–and from a few men as well(!).

But listening through two thousand demos is quite a job. An insane job in fact. And yet: a good voice is but one element in the selection process–what the vocalist is like ‘as a personality’ and how will she cope long tours? Just to mention a couple of examples.

It turned out right from the start that Floor Jansen doesn’t budge under pressure and is highly skilled and adaptable singer, and the band has had nothing but positive surprises with her. Would Nightwish again, after the last few years’ experiences, plunge into a sea of demos and then ‘at some point’ start getting to better know the singer they have selected? Exactly.

“Of course people have sent us some demos after Anette’s departure as well, even though we haven’t asked for them. We checked out some of them, simply out of curiosity, but those listening experiences certainly didn’t give us any particularly positive thoughts,” says the bass-player-cum-vocalist Marco Hietala.

When did you decide Floor’s fate in the world of Nightwish?

“We made a definitive decision last spring, in a band meeting at Tuomas’s place (Holopainen, keyboards). It was entirely obvious for all of us that it makes no sense whatsoever to force ourselves to fix something that isn’t broken at all,” Hietala says.

“But we didn’t see any reason to hurry either. Maybe the history of the last few years has left us slightly traumatized, so the last thing we wanted was to rush a new serious relationship without first turning all the cards. [Translator’s note: No, it doesn’t say and I don’t know what he really means by ‘other cards’. You’re free to make anything you want out of this.] This was clear both to us and Floor–and oh yeah, fortunately also Floor was willing to join Nightwish!”
What about Troy Donockley–the British magician who has toured with you the last few years is an official member of the lineup now instead of being an outside member.

“When we discussed the situation with Floor the status of Troy came up as well. The fact that we get along splendidly with Troy and also his multi-instrumentalist skills which would open up huge possibilities in future, both in terms of arranging old songs as well as working on new ones. The matter was decided then and there, we wanted to make the relationship official also with Troy. Luckily for us, also his response was positive,” Hietala says with a smile.

Where and when did you inform Floor and Troy about your decisions?

“In Tampere, in the bar of Hotel Ilves, during the after party of Sauna Open Air. We were sitting there in a corner, the whole bunch of us, and told Floor and Troy about our ideas. There’s no denying, the feeling was superb,” Hietala reminisces.

I suppose the atmosphere is still great? The new lineup has been made public. The Showtime, Storytime package, consisting of the huge concert at Wacken and a long documentary, will come out shortly (fresh trailer here). And even the next Nightwish album is gathering momentum...

“There’s no denying–the vibe is extremely good. The band will meet up next July to write and arrange the songs for the next album, and I can hardly wait actually,” Hietala says with a laugh.

“We have already talked about a more down-to-earth Nightwish album. Sure, orchestrations and other big things will continue to be a part of this band’s soundscape, but it might well be that we’ll make the band sound a bit more prominent this time around. But let’s see–these things will be sorted out next summer!”

Kiitos Enigma; I was so busy posting this everywhere else that I just now had time to come to the forum. I shall make this a sticky topic, as it is deserved!

We have a huge surprise to share on Tuesday in honor of our 10th anniversary, and I think this news about Floor has just become the figurative icing on the (birthday) cake!

I like the news of Floor joining. I'm already familiar with her voice from After Forever.

I looked at the track list for the upcoming live DVD and it has Ever Dream on it. I can't wait to listen to her version of "Ever Dream". It's a shame we never got any of the older songs (before DPP) sung by Anette on a live DVD. Youtube recordings just don't match up against the professional recordings of a live DVD.

This happened literally overnight, so I have some news to share with all of you!

Thanks to our friends at Sonic Cathedral, I conducted another interview with Tuomas this morning, to promote the upcoming DVD. I was also sent an advanced copy to watch online from the record label (just for interviewing purposes), and all I can say is...you are going to be "Floored"! One spoiler I will be happy to give: our fellow OSAer Desi can be seen for a few seconds during the documentary footage!

I would have given everyone a chance to send in questions for Tuomas had I known about this sooner, but I was given this opportunity with just a day's time to prepare. However, just when you thought I couldn't have more surprises in store for you this upcoming Tuesday...well, I do!

I think that this is fantastic :) I so love this band right now, and you will never get another complaint from me, other than why didn't they do this back in 06?

Well :( Here we go.

I am overjoyed about Troy, but Floor... We'll see. I'll reserve judgement until I've heard the album, but I'm not fond of Floor. She has an odd tone to her voice that I loathe. Sometimes it is slight enough that it doesn't bother me, with any luck, the next album will hover in that sweet spot.

I'm happy it didn't happen in 06 because eventhough DPP is forgettable to me, Imaginaerum was a masterpiece to my ears and that wouldn't of been written if Floor was the singer. I'm excited she's the new singer but when you hear her sing those songs live, it doesn't fit her voice. She's better with the Tarja material.

Having Anette as singer made Tuomas bring out a new dimension of his song writing and I couldn't be happier. That album is just so weird, goofy and out there yet still works on every level.

Now we get Floor and the band is saying they're gonna probably strip is back a little bit (less orchestra) with the new album, just like I been hoping (Going full throttle on the orchestra after an album like Imaginaerum would be overkill).

I'm really excited about the future of the band. Let's hope they can finally keep a healthy relationship with a vocalist.

That's not to say Imaginaerum wouldn't have been written; Tuomas says he got the idea for that as far back as early 2007, so while the album may still have been made, it might not have sounded the same, or the direction might have been different with another vocalist. But yeah, I hope that 3rd time is the charm and this will be the singer that sticks with them for the rest of their career.