11. K.A.B.

Label: MCA Records
Release date: 1990
Artist site:
http://www.flotsam-and-jetsam.com/
GRADE:
6/10

When The Storm Comes Down.

One of the worst sounding, worst produced albums by one of my all time favorite bands of all time, FLOTSAM AND JETSAM. Am I getting through here? I love this band, love this record, but it was flawed aplenty. Like OVERKILL's I Hear Black, Alex Perialas failed miserably to get a good mix out of the material. The songs, like OVERKILL's, weren't bad, but the soundguy's ears were. Could he possibly have gotten a worse drum sound? Everything is very high end heavy, virtually no lower frequencies to be heard. I wonder if this was an attempt to get the ...And Justice For All sound.

Their third record deal in just as many albums saw the band signed with MCA, another marriage doomed to fail. It would appear that this album was a direct result of their lives at the time, as this is a very cold, bleak, pessimistic record. It's testament to the band's writing skills that the songs are still enjoyable, well written songs. I mean, some of my favorite songs are contained within.

"October Thorns," "Suffer The Masses," "Greed," all are great songs, just marred by piss poor production. It would be nice to see a remastering, remixing of this with say Neil Kernon (who did the followup Cuatro). In the end, When The Storm Comes Down saw the end of an era in the sense that it would be the last time vocalist Eric A.K. would consistently sing in his upper register. It would also be the last release to feature bassist Troy Gregory, who would move on to join PRONG.

Having been a F&J fan since the beginning, I can now say that this album has not stood the test of time. There are moments of brilliance, but they are tarnished moments. A trend that would sadly dictate a large portion of their history.

PJ