Focusrite Liquid 56 preamp shootout (API,NEVE,PULLTEC ETC)

kev

Im guybrush threepwood
Jun 16, 2004
Bristol, United Kingdom
www.myspace.com
Been meaning to do this shootout for a while, so took the opportunity whilst I was at home dying of a cold today :mad:

The clips go as follows. Skip to 9:35 If you want to listen to the clips one after another, my technobable isnt too fun to listen to i'm sure :lol: See what you prefer...

flat
API 3124+
Avalon VT-737SP
focusrite red 1
helios console
manley slam
neve 1073
pulltec MB-1
telefunken v72
universal audio M610
milennia hv-d3

28MB:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1206505/Foc...eamp Shootout With Acoustic Guitar & SM57.mp3

~Kev

Thanks a lot for the comparison clip!!! I've listened to the older clip too ("of wolf and man" iirc?). I've recently got a Saffire Liquid myself and been pretty happy so far,though i'm not familiar with the preamp characters yet. Judging by the clips (and by my own small experience with Liquid 56), every preamp has its own character. I don't know how strong is that character or how accurate compared to the real ones,but to be honest,I don't really care.. If it sound good,it's good!!

How hard did you drive the harmonics? As both of you are veterans of the Liquid 56,what preamps did you find yourself using most of the time for distorted guitars?

No problem mate, glad you could find it useful. James & I pretty much decided on the API & the Neve, thanks to them having a great balance all round. The manley I find good when using a low output mic like a 57. A couple of the others are also good. The focusrite red emulation has a very smooth top end which I imagine would be nice to put overheads into.

Aye usually API and Neve for the go to on geetars :) Haven't had chance to try much out on vocals but I usually go API.

I don't really drive the harmonics much these days, always starts to peak easily so I keep it around 3 now.

Hello Kev- sorry for the bump but I'm really interested in hearing these emulations as to see if I bite the bullet for the 56..

Do you still have the audio around by any chance?

Thanks much :)

I believe i got the audio for this somewhere in my backup files. I saved it back before i bought my LS56 and was debating whether to get it or not.

I can look for it and send it to you guys if you want.

Not sure if this link works as i've never used dropbox before. Let me know if it doesn't work and i'll try to fix it.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/LS56...ut With Acoustic Guitar & SM57.mp3?w=91d97745

Would greatly appreciate it. Enjoying the interface? Do you work with pt?

Yup i work on PT9 and the interface works great with it. I do everything with it from full drum kits on 18 channels to mixing with outboard gear and converters. It's also my location recording interface. I've had it for about a year and a half and i havn't had any problems with it other than a minor bug when trying to switch between sample rates with PT with the new patch it has been working flawlessly.

Haha my shitty shootout finally came of age. I still have the files so i'll get them back online tonight if you guys want. Think it was with an acoustic guitar so not that great. I should redo now I have reamping capability these days! If you're interested i'll knock something up with some higher gain goodness (although James covered that quite well already)

Here we go then guys, hi-gain, Marshall cab 57'd on the cone. You'll love the riff.

Order is as usual. You might want to normalise them a little as there is some serious difference in gain with these (especially the pultec)

Emulation Title Emulated Hardware
Flat (Default) N/A
TRANY 1 H API 3124+ (high gain setting)
SILVER 2 Avalon VT-737SP
FF RED1 H Focusrite Red 1 (high gain setting)
SAVILLEROW Helios Console
DUNK Manley Slam
CLASS A 2A Neve 1073 (high impedance setting)
OLD TUBE Pultec MB1
DEUTSCH 72 Telefunken V72
STELLAR 1B Universal Audio 610 (low impedance setting)
NEW AGE 1 Millennia HV-3D

Wave 70MB - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1206505/Liq...ew/Liquid Saffire Christmas Shootout 2012.wav
High Quality Mp3 - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1206505/Liq...ew/Liquid Saffire Christmas Shootout 2012.mp3

Thanks!

Well the differences in gain certainly affect perception - I hard limited and boosted quite a bit to make them more even; once I did that though, it was hard to perceive much of a difference in most cases -expect for some things, such as the last one sounding brighter..

Btw, first and last samples 'look' the same; already pretty much limited to the max.. :guh:

Acoustic samples could be much better for this listening I think?

TRANY 1 H API 3124+ (high gain setting) - This makes the tone sound so overgained!
SAVILLEROW Helios Console - This might be the best sounding overall.
CLASS A 2A Neve 1073 (high impedance setting) - When coming from the one before this one (DUNK Manley Slam), the mids sounded weird at first, but then it sounded kinda nice.
OLD TUBE Pultec MB1 - This one fitted the riff the best, I think! Made the tone fit the riff better imo :D
STELLAR 1B Universal Audio 610 (low impedance setting) - This one sounded the worst.
NEW AGE 1 Millennia HV-3D - This one was way louder, so that might just trick you into thinking it sounded better, but this was probably the second best for me.

I have a Saffire 56 being shipped to me now. I'm so excited to try it out! :D

Cheers
Carl.