Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 vs Liquid Saffire 56

Frak

Nov 30, 2011
Perth, Australia
Hey guys,

I've recently saved up enough money to replace my current cheap interface.
I'm tossing up between the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and the Liquid Saffire 56.
In short, is the liquid saffire worth an extra $400?
I'm in Australia and I can get the Pro 40 for $500, but I can only find the Liquid Saffire for $900.

Thanks.

I've had the saffire 56 for a fair few years now and it's a fantastic interface. I don't really use the preamp modelling a lot of the time, if it were to die on me (touch wood) I could see myself replacing with a 40.

I've had the Sapphire Pro 40 for a few years now, after my RME Fireface 400 self-destructed, and I've been very happy with it and the support of Focusrite! At one point, it had a slightly common problem that it lost sound after being on for extended periods of time. But that problem has now been fixed for around 6 months with the new driver. I also had the same problem until the update, and had a chat with the Focusrite support (great guys!), and since the update it's been problem-free for me too :) No problems with the sound quality either, compared to my previous Fireface (which was double the price!).

The only thing I don't record is drums, but everything else has been good so far. Mostly guitars, bass, DI tracks of guitar/bass, some vocals, and some misc instruments.

Ive owned my Ls56 for a couple years now and its still going strong. Im with kev though, if it were to die i would consider the pro40 and spend the extra on something else like a warm audio pre or a cool compressor. The liquid pre's are fine but not $400 worth of improvement imo.

I own both. 56 is not worth it. In fact, I actually use the 56 as just an ADAT pre into the 40 because it game me driver issues on Windows. Get the 40.