"For psychologists, dogs may be the new chimpanzees."

avi

W3RK3R
Aug 21, 2002
Oly, WA
www.itsatrap.com
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/06/11/MNGTL73SSM28.DTL

Smart dog does more than just sit and fetch
Rico has scientists asking if canines can reason like tots
David Perlman, Chronicle Science Editor

clear.gif
Friday, June 11, 2004

pixel_gray.gif

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]

A border collie named Rico has scientists excited about the possibility of solving a long-standing puzzle: Do dogs learn language the way humans do?

The German house dog has astonished researchers by acquiring a remarkable "vocabulary" of at least 200 words and by demonstrating he is capable of a kind of reasoning -- almost like human toddlers -- that lets him quickly figure out the names of objects he's never seen before.

His performance has left scientists wondering whether Rico -- a natural- born herder -- is just unusually smart, or whether he is displaying something more: an insightful kind of learning ability that evolution has unexpectedly shared with mammals other than humans.

The dog's German owners have taught their 9-year-old pet to recognize a large collection of children's toys, balls and stuffed animals. He knows to select and fetch any one of the 200 when his hidden owner's voice merely calls out the name of the object.

To the surprise of the scientists studying his responses, Rico can even pick out a toy he's never seen when one of his owners scatters it randomly among 10 other toys whose names the dog already knows, but then calls the unfamiliar object by its name, which Rico has never heard.

To psychologists who study the learning processes of infants and young children, Rico's ability to understand the name of an unfamiliar object among a cluster of familiar ones whose names he already knows is called "exclusionary learning."

Learning the name of the new object instantly in only a single try, and then selecting it by name repetitively, is known as "fast mapping." Children can do it almost from infancy, but there's never been clear evidence that animals can do it, the German researchers say.

The scientists at the Max-Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, led by psychologist Julia Fischer, are reporting on Rico's achievements today in the journal Science.

They say their experiments with the dog and its unnamed owner provide the first clear evidence of humanlike "fast mapping" in an animal and report that Rico can even recall the names of the new and unfamiliar objects he's learned for as long as a month.

In a telephone interview with The Chronicle, Fisher said that within 24 hours after word about her team's experiments leaked out this week, she and her colleagues were flooded with e-mail from dog owners all over Europe saying their pets, too, were at least as smart as Rico.

"Maybe Rico's just a very smart dog and very well motivated," Fischer conceded, "but our experiments do give us some insights into how we all share learning abilities with animals and young children.

"Rico is clearly capable of independent thinking and using simple logic. Of course a child has a much richer and broader understanding of words than a dog or any other animal. But with all the other claims we're receiving from other owners, we'll have the chance for much more research into this question."

Paul Bloom, a Yale University psychologist who studies how young children learn the meanings of words, commented on the Fischer team's work in a separate article published in Science. Rico's abilities "might signal the emergence of a vibrant area of comparative cognition research," he said. "For psychologists, dogs may be the new chimpanzees."

But he also has reservations about the German research. Children learn new words in many ways, while Rico learns only through rewards when he fetches an object successfully, he noted. "If any child learned words the way Rico did, the parents would run screaming to the nearest neurologist."

At Stanford, linguistics professor Eve Clark, an expert on how children acquire language, also had reservations.

"This report is on only a single animal," Clark said. "So if Rico is in fact capable of fast mapping and exclusionary learning, is that true of just one collie, or does it mean that it's true of others as well?"

Harvard psychologist Susan Carey, whose Laboratory for Developmental Studies investigates how infants and young children reason about the world around them and learn words for new objects, said the research with Rico is both significant and scientifically important. "The evidence that it can exhibit what we call 'exclusionary learning' and 'fast mapping' is the most spectacular finding in the report," Cary said in an interview Thursday. "That any dog can do it at all is really, really surprising, even though merely associating words and objects has long been known among other researchers studying animals as varied as apes, seals, dolphins and parrots. "I'm convinced that this dog has the abilities claimed for it, but is it really understanding true communication beyond merely learning to obey commands?" Carey questioned. "Dogs are adapted by evolution and breeding to communicate with humans, but is this one actually communicating with reason and really learning language the way human children do? We need to know a lot more to answer that question."

[/font]

The person who wrote that has no idea what "language" means. Dogs, like chimpanzees, can't just learn "less" language than humans. They can't learn it at all. Dyadic language isn't real language, and I don't think any non-human ever has--or ever will--be able to achieve true, triadic language. You can train a plant to associate a symbol with a concrete stimulus.

it's simply not true and I think the papers are making a big deal about this because most people think language is no more than saying CANDY when you want something sweet.

it's not really a big deal linguistically, and no one has ever denied that dogs have some degree of more-than-plant-like reasoning abilities. it's just ridiculous to say AND THUS DOGS = CHILDREN AND LANGUAGE IS NO LONGER MAN'S DOMAIN!

most people realize now scientifically that language is a series of analogies fast mapped and learned in a web-sequence neurologically. when they said 'word understanding', they mean that words are associated with their meaning and fast mapped to analogistically correlate to other known and pre-existing meanings. i think dogs could use language in this sense easily. dolphins have also been shown to have fast-mapping techniques. toddlers and infants learn words by the same sense of analogistic fast-mapping and this is why the experience what's called 'word bursts' meaning that they learn a huge # of words suddenly, because a new web of fast mapped associations has been made. i believe other living things can also map, but in smaller groups and correlations.

MY TWO CENTS

i mean, seriously, there's no solid IT'S A FACT theory about how the human mind even records and uses language so there's really honestly no way to say YES or NO to whether an animal is in fact using it or not. it's the same with the AI arguments about whether a machine that ACTS human enough is actually conscious or not.

I don't think so--it's pretty clear that there are different levels of word-usage, and some of those levels constitute real language (e.g. mature humans interacting) and some do not (e.g. parrots repeating words, chimps using sign-language, etc). We might not know exactly what the linguistic process is in the brain, but we can definitely say "Real language includes self-referential capability" and "Real language includes an implicit or explicit grammar".

This demonstrates a level of mental capability that dogs have not been shown to posess before, but it has no linguistic bearing, I don't think.

that's exactly what i mean though, you have no idea if dogs are thinking of word processes in a self-referential manner at all. i mean, you just can't prove it and it's entirely possible!

p.s. when i was a teacher my students read that book!

So you're saying that dogs are much more complex than chimps, and are only prohibited from expressing language by their huge physical impediments? Because chimps are entirely capable of expressing themselves (through signing) on a true linguistic level, yet have ALWAYS failed to do so, no matter how many "KOKO FRUIT" experiments have been conducted.

I think that it's incredibly unlikely that a dog's brain would be evolved with the capacity for real language while a chimp's is not.

And I'm not going up against Douglas Hofstadter! I'm just parroting the stuff I learned in my linguistics and semiotics classes, so Walker Percy or de Saussure can go toe-to-toe with the dude.

I mean, loving something doesn't mean you have to insist that it has fictional super-powers. I love vindaloo and I don't believe I'll ever see a spicy, vinegary piece of chicken get up and start lecturing me about improper proportions of fenugreek.