Foreigner/Kelly Hansen

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
So, the other day I was at Wal-Mart (the redneck Macy's) and I was thumbing through the cheap CDs. I ran across the Extended Versions disc for Foreigner and noticed it was recorded in 2005. Plus, it pictured the current lineup with Kelly Hansen on vocals, Jeff Pilson on bass, and Jason Bonham on drums. Being a big fan of all three of these guys I went ahead and bought the disc. I have to say, I'm very impressed with the job that Kelly does with all the songs. He does as good of a job as Lou Graham ever did in my opinion! To me, this version of Foreigner is simply a super group covering Foreigner songs, but they do it perfectly. If you haven't seen these guys live then pick up Foreigner's Extended Versions CD to see what I'm talking about. If you like Foreigner's music, then you'll be pleased. Eventhough, it's not a Foreigner song, I still would've liked to hear Kelly sing Lou Graham's Midnight Blue. :headbang:

~Brian~

I love Foreigner. I have not heard of this disc. I need to check it out.

Kelly Hansen is like Jeff Scott Soto to me... their voices are like chameleons... they can sing so many different styles so very well... they adapt to the song and make it their own. I love Lou Graham's voice, he is awesome... but Kelly sounds fabulous on this release... he really is an incredibly underrated singer.... it's odd for me cause the Hurricane stuff never did much for me.... his vocals on the PERFECT WORLD (covers album) album he did back in 2004 were outstanding.

Kelly Hansen is like Jeff Scott Soto to me... their voices are like chameleons... they can sing so many different styles so very well... they adapt to the song and make it their own.

I agree.

I love Lou Graham's voice, he is awesome... but Kelly sounds fabulous on this release... he really is an incredibly underrated singer

I find it odd that he never gained more popularity back in the 80s during his Hurricane days.

it's odd for me cause the Hurricane stuff never did much for me

I've recently purchased all of the Hurricane re-releases and think every one is solid. Their debut being my favorite out of the three.

his vocals on the PERFECT WORLD (covers album) album he did back in 2004 were outstanding.

I'm not familiar with this. I'll check it out.

~Brian~

Fellas - I had the chance to see Foreigner with Kelly a few months ago when they came through at the HOB.....Kelly is great on cd and even better live!! The band played with so much energy and the crowd (packed, by the way!) ate it up. It was hit after hit after hit after......well, you get the point. If they come anywhere near you, go see them.

As for Hurricane, I think they were sadly overlooked. The scene was so saturated by that point, they were one of the casulties.

^^^+1 was there and it was FANTASTIC!! though I certainly hated the new "format" for the HOB, what the hell is all this VIP barstools b.s. upstairs on the rail now?? We got on the floor and had a blast!!:headbang:

Perfect World was not an album of all covers...and yes, what a great album...

Rock on!

Foreigner has ANOTHER Greatest Hits album? Seeing that they have not had any new material since 1994, you wonder why they even bother anymore.

Yes it was, none of the songs on the PERFECT WORLD CD were written by Kelly or Fabrizio. All the songs had been previously recorded by other artists in either released or demo form.
:headbang:

Oddly enough, the first song on the album, Here With Me, was recorded by one of my favorite Christian bands, Plumb. I've been a fan of Plumb now since my college days in the late 90's. It's a great song. :kickass:

~Brian~

"Here With Me" and "You'll Be Gone" are my two favorites on that CD!

Check out Plumb's version of it for grins. It's on the "Candy Coated Waterdrops" release. It came out around 1998 if I recall correctly. Plumb is a female led Christian alternative band. The lead vocalist is named Tiffany Arbuckle and she's a great singer/song writer.

~Brian~