formal announcement:

another announcement: i have to go to a work lunch at the indian restaurant. i am going to talk loudly about some 'alex character' the whole time.

i'm glad to hear you're breaking your vow of never eating indian food again. can you be sure to mention me VERY loudly and VERY favorably, especially in the presence of hot Punjabi waitresses?

our waiter looked like an indian bill murray. it was very weird.

anyway, i did make some alex references which made everyone look at me strange, but i got my point across.

the food made me sick. i feel like i'm going to die now.

Here's the aloo baigan I made. It's uncooked rightn ow; I've been letting the potatoes and eggplant sit overnight in the spice mixture so all the bitter juices drain out of the eggplant. I'll do the cooking when I get home:

1 pound eggplant
1 pound potatoes
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 1/2 tablespoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
4 tablespoons light vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon mango powder

Cut the eggplant, unpeeled, into 1-inch pieces or cubes. Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1-inch cubes. Put the vegetables in a bowl. Sprinkle on the turmeric, coriander, cayenne, and salt, and mix
well to coat evenly with the spices.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat for 3 minutes. Add the fenugreek seeds, and fry until they turn dark brown (10 to 15 seconds). Add the vegetables, shake the pan a few times, and let the
vegetables sizzle undisturbed for 1 or 2 minutes. Fry the vegetables, turning them, for 5 minutes until the spices start clinging to the vegetables and the eggplant looks limp and begins to steam. Lower the
heat and cook, covered, for 20 minutes, turning the vegetables often to ensure that they are cooking evenly. Be careful not to break the fragile pieces of vegetables. Sprinkle on the mango powder and fry uncovered, turning them regularly, for 5 minutes, or until they look glazed.