Former MALEVOLENT CREATION Singer BRETT HOFFMAN Diagnosed With Stage 4 Colon Cancer

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
A fundraising campaign has been launched for former MALEVOLENT CREATION frontman Brett Hoffman, who was recently diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. The GoFundMe page, which was started by Brett's "very close friend/family member" Tina Kuntz Mielcarek, is asking for donations to cover his "medical expenses and treatments." Brett performed on the first three MALEVOLENT CREATION releases until he left the band after 1993's "Stillborn" album. Five years later, he returned and performed on "The Fine Art Of Murder" and "Envenomed" before leaving again and being replaced by Kyle Symons. He rejoined MALEVOLENT again in 2006 and appeared on the group's last three albums, 2007's "Doomsday X", 2010's "Invidious Dominion" and 2015's "Dead Man's Path". He exited the group once again two years ago and was replaced by Lee Wollenschlaeger. More recently, Brett has been involved with the FIRE FOR EFFECT project in which he was joined by guitarist and songwriter Gio Geraca (MALEVOLENT CREATION, ASHES OF ARES), bassist Tony Choy (PESTILENCE) and drummer Mike Smith (SUFFOCATION). Smith was later replaced by Derek Roddy (HATE ETERNAL, NILE, MALEVOLENT CREATION). In a 2015 interview with Metal Rules, Brett was asked about how he developed his unique vocal style. "When I grew up, I knew I wanted to sing," he said. "I was playing bass at first and I kind of sucked at it. I tried singing and sucked at it. So I went into my room for like two years and practiced singing old JUDAS PRIEST and IRON MAIDEN with [Bruce] Dickinson. I practiced those screams and could do them pretty good. Then when I transitioned over to death metal it worked because I learned the right way how to do those screams. It worked."

Continue reading...