Former OVERKILL Guitarist BOBBY GUSTAFSON Explains Why He Passed On DAVE MUSTAINE's Offer...

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Former OVERKILL guitarist Bobby Gustafson says that he doesn't regret turning down an opportunity to join MEGADETH back in 1987 while the two bands were on a joint U.S. tour. "I think it was the right thing to do — definitely at the time," Gustafson told the "Talk Toomey" podcast in a new interview (hear audio below). "It was an honor that [MEGADETH leader Dave Mustaine] had asked, and I've seen how many great musicians — guitar players and drummers — have gone in and out of the band since then. So I was definitely flattered. But [OVERKILL's second album] 'Taking Over' had just come out, and my thinking was, 'This album is much better than the first one.' And we were together with [MEGADETH] on the 'Peace Sells' tour, and they kind of looked a little chaotic and dysfunctional. And I'm, like, 'Well, I'm not gonna leave something that I'm in control of to be in something where I'm not in control.' And I just declined that night that he asked. I didn't really sit there and think about it. And then, unfortunately, by the end of that tour, we didn't even know this was coming, but Rat [Skates, OVERKILL drummer] left, and that was the last show that we did with him, was on that tour, and then he was gone. So then now we were in a weird situation; it kind of threw us all for a loop. But I look back and I wound up doing 'Under The Influence', which I love, and then 'The Years Of Decay', which is just, like, our sort of swan song type of album. And I'm glad that I stuck it out and just at least got those four albums — the classic OVERKILL albums — underneath my belt." Gustafson said that he "stayed close" with MEGADETH bassist David Ellefson. "I did a little quote for his new book that's coming out, and we cross paths here and there," he revealed. Bobby went on to say that he "would love" to do something with Mustaine once Dave has successfully completed his treatment for the throat cancer with which he was recently diagnosed. "It would be nice," Gustafson said. "I'd like to see him go back to doing something pretty heavy again, real thrashy." Gustafson joined OVERKILL in 1982 and played on the group's first four albums — "Feel The Fire" (1985), "Taking Over" (1987), "Under The Influence" (1988) and "The Years Of Decay" (1989) — before departing in 1990 amid growing tension between him and OVERKILL bassist D.D. Verni. OVERKILL's current lineup includes Verni and vocalist Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth alongside guitarists Dave Linsk and Derek Tailer, plus the band's latest addition, drummer Jason Bittner. Gustafson's latest project, SATANS TAINT, will release its new album, "Destruction Ritual", on August 2 via Megaforce Records.

Continue reading...