Former PANTERA Bassist REX BROWN Says 'Some Of The Stuff' In His Memoir 'Shouldn't Have...

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Former PANTERA bassist Rex Brown took part in a Facebook Live chat on Wednesday, July 5. Asked what inspired him to write his 2013 memoir, "Official Truth, 101 Proof: The Inside Story Of Pantera", Rex said (see video below): "That was just at a time where someone had come to me about a book offer and I said, 'I don't really wanna do one.' But I had a lot of stuff, being one that really didn't ever say anything to the press or… To me, it's all about the songs, about the jam… It's not about this [kind of stuff] for sure. But it's just one of those things that's a necessarily evil." He continued: "It was [written] at a time of my life, and some of the stuff that was said in there shouldn't have been printed; it was taken off the cuff. But I think, in general, that's where I was at that time. Now I have plenty more chapters to write. I'm in a really, really good place now. I couldn't be happier. And it's just funny how life works sometimes. It's amazing — just amazing. I've been blessed." In 2013 interview with the "Energize With Lonn Friend" podcast, Brown revealed that he sent his book to former PANTERA singer Philip Anselmo and drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott. He said: "And, apparently, Vinnie isn't very flattered by it. Vinnie, then, he can write his own fucking book, you know. With Philip, I haven't heard any rebuttals, but I didn't say anything in the book that wasn't already out there, you know what I'm saying?!" He added: "I think the reason they haven't talked to me is 'cause it is the fucking truth. And sometimes you don't wanna tell the truth. And I didn't go out of my way to maliciously hurt any individual. But at the same time, if you're gonna tell the truth, by God, you'd better be on the skinny. And I think Mark Eglinton [Rex's co-author], that did this thing with me, he really just kind of…. He put me down… You know how you have your dreams that you had in high school when you're just… you're in your underwear. That's the way I felt with this book. If [you're] not [being completely truthful in your memoir], I think it's all a bunch of charade… And why would you wanna do that?" In a 2013 interview with MetalSucks, Anselmo was asked for his opinion of "Official Truth, 101 Proof: The Inside Story Of Pantera". He said: "Honestly, [Rex's] assessment of me [in the book] — I don't care. Egotistical, self-centered, everything is always about me. Y'know what? I'm a lead singer and he's a bass player. That's his perception. So I'm fine with it. I don't hold any fucking grudges. But I think he did take some angry swipes and I don't need to be specific. There is a great deal of mythology when it comes to his 'quitting' DOWN. That particular chapter is a little disturbing." Anselmo also commented on the fact that former PANTERA drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott was at times painted in a very negative light in Rex's book. "I'm not sure that type of beating [on Vince] was necessary," Anselmo said. "Vince is a difficult guy and was always a different type of guy. But did he deserve that type of beating? I don't think so. It's a shame." He continued: "Rex has many faults, just like anyone else. But it sure seems like he wants to put fault on other people to take away from his humanity. We're all full of faults. Maybe it's easier for some of us to admit." On page 172 of "Official Truth, 101 Proof: The Inside Story Of Pantera", Brown had the following to say about Vinnie Paul: "You need to understand that Vinnie is just a strange person — that's all there is to it — and it's either his way or the highway. I think he got most of that asshole-ishness from his old man, because in many ways they are very much alike. Vinnie was always all about the 'party, party, party!' and 'eat that pussy!' type of shit — to the extent that he thought he was fucking David Lee Roth. And him a drummer, can you imagine? But the truth is that he only got laid maybe one out of ten times and that's if he was lucky. Being in a platinum-selling band is meant to be a head start when you're trying to score with chicks, but he negated that by having no idea whatsoever how to treat or approach a woman. He'd just walk up and immediately start groping them, so it was no surprise that his strike rate was so pitiful. He acted like meeting him was a sexual audition and that just turned them off straightaway." He continued: "And as if that wasn't bad enough, when he didn't get laid (ninety percent of the time, I'd estimate) he was the most miserable fucking guy on the planet. I just couldn't live with him. He'd walk in the room in the morning and I'd just know. He'd be all snappy and pissed off with everyone and there was nothing anyone could do to change his mood. That became really boring." Brown's debut solo album, " Smoke On This", will be released on July 28 via Entertainment One (eOne). The disc marks the first time in Rex's career in which he serves as both lead vocalist and guitarist in a band.

Posted by Rex Brown on Wednesday, July 5, 2017​

Continue reading...