Fountain Of Tears

Snowy Owl

OSA Co-founder
Sep 12, 2005
A tree in Middletown, PA
Hey y'all!

A band you should all check out...especially fans of female-fronted metal and rock. They are called Fountain of Tears!

Give them a listen and let me know what you think!

www.fountainoftears.com

Also, check out RFUSA and read an interview with drummer Joey Daub, who is also a member of the renowned and Dove award nominated Christian metal band Believer, and has done production work with bands such as Living Sacrifice and Earth Crisis.

I don't really have an interest in christian bands (to put it mildly), or bands that have members from other christian bands. But i'm giving Fountain of Tears a try.

The first track, Weeping Sky sounded good. The production quality on 02 - Corruption didn't quite agree with me, though by the third song (Falling), i've gotten used to it. I liked the way 04 - What Lies Ahead ended, and then the way 05 - Forever Lost comes on. Actually, surprisingly, this may be my favorite song thusfar. Surprising, because it starts off as a ballad and only reaches mid-tempo status. Still, it's a good song.

This band certainly has some potential, roughly in the early Lacuna Coil vein, though there are many differences to be found between early LC and FoT. In fact, i would be surprised if they didn't cite early Lacuna Coil as a major influence. Another thing to note: the vocalist here won't ever become one of this worlds premiere voices. That isn't to say that she is bad, just not on that level; not the strongest voice i've ever heard. Still, there is still talent here. Enough that there is a place in this world for a band like Fountain of Tears (all of which is fairly high praise coming from me, especially concerning american bands).

Anyway, i am on track 8 now, and i am still enjoying enough of what i am hearing to keep listening. I'll be sure to keep tabs these guys.

Hey Tramz:

Read the interview on my page with Joe Daub, the drummer. While he was in Believer and the band has re-united...Fountain of Tears is not a Christian band. The songs they do are purely secular. Joe says it all in the interview.

Also, I have to say that you have just said the biggest criticism that many people have of vocalist Vonnie King's voice. She is not a "metal" singer or a "rock" singer. She is a trained R & B vocalist (kind of in the vein of Alicia Keyes), and I think she is great. Everyone expects vocalists like Christina or Tarja in metal...this singer has her own quality and gives the band a unique flavor. People need to not judge them by other metal bands because they have their own sound.

Give the record 4 or 5 more spins and you'll enjoy it more and more. I am glad you are liking it so far!

Read my interview with Joe Daub too! It explains much about the band's music, and you'll also see some of my eclectic musical tastes (.i.e Steely Dan and the like)

I wasn't judging her based on a comparison to anyone else, or by genre (though something about her reminds me a very small bit of Cristina). There was just a quality to her voice that didn't immediately strike me as "this will be an amazing vocalist." (unlike, say, Marcela Bovio who immediately electrified most listeners upon first hearing her voice in T.H.E.) I suppose it could be because she is out of her trained element. As i said, she's not bad, i just do not find her to be amazing. This is not a comparison to anyone, just my take on her voice (which is different from her ability to use it). I will grant you that she is fairly unique, which is a good thing. I still think song 5 - Forever Lost is her best vocal showing.

Actually now that you mention it, on a second listen, i can pick up little moments here and there that reflect her R&B training. Anyway, i want to stress that i don't want to seem negative here. I like what i have heard, and it includes the vocalist. That's the thing to remember (along with the fact that i am not prone to glowing reviews unless something is virtually or literally a life altering experience).

As for their christian status, i was unsure, which is why i added that little caveat about members from other bands that were. But, noted. And yes, i will read your interview shortly. :]