frequency dilemma

Injectionboy

Jan 18, 2008
I noticed something strange, whenever I check up any of the professional projects out there like joey's stuff or most other mixes, there seems to be some sort of shelf from 16k and beyond there seems to have really fast attack and release, when I load up my projects seems to be even with lower frequencies abit higher, and my question is why.

IMO, generally higher frequencies are not as compressed as much as lower ones, and as such if you view them on analyzers you see a lot more movement. If you have a multi-band comp plug, throw it on your mix buss and fire up a preset, it most cases the bands on the high end will be compressing less (fast attack/release/high threshold setting so it not clamping down on the signal, etc.)

Also, I think an "even" mix when viewed through an analyzer you will generally see a larger hump towards the low end and the it kinda flattens out as the frequencies go up...Sometimes you'll see a small rise towards the high end. I think that's the whole fletcher munson curve and idea at work, as low frequencies need a little more volume/energy to be perceived as loud as mids, highs mids, and low highs. Sometimes you'll see a small increase or shelf on the high highs to bring some air to the mix.

These are just my observations, I don't claim to be right or "schooled".

Also, if you are using an analyzer to take a look at some reference work, fire up something like Arch Enemy's Rise of the Tyrant as compared to one of Andy's mixes, and you can see a hyped high end starting around the high mids on the ROTT mix...I think that harsh high mid combined with hot mastering make for an unpleasant listening experience. One thing I've always REALLY admired about Andy's mixes is they are extremely pleasing to listen to and still retains full frequency punch and articulation...All without ear fatigue.

i'm not sure what you mean. "when I load up my projects seems to be even with lower frequencies abit higher"

mixs.jpg

ah, you are using a different analyzer than I am used to.

That just looks like he used a low pass filter on the track, or a shelf EQ cutting everything from a certain point. The little peak you see at the point right after the cut could be an artifact from the EQ algorithm.

Also, it looks like his low end is around where yours is.

Chances are the mastering of his track and the mastering of yours will obviously make a difference, too...And, if your track isn't mastered, it will be overall lower in volume, and would/could be seen on the analyzer...And JOey's mixes are LOUD! :lol:

EDIT:

Also, the scales in both graphs do not match up side to side, so it's kinda hard to pick out specific frequency dependent comparisons. Looks like your mix graph is squished closer together.

If I understand what you are describing it is also probably a symptom of low passing everything but drums in the mix. IIRC Joey has even mentioned low passing vocals.

Edit: seeing the chart I'm pretty convinced that I'm correct. I'm also wondering what you have going on besides cymbals that needs to go up to 25khz

If I understand what you are describing it is also probably a symptom of low passing everything but drums in the mix. IIRC Joey has even mentioned low passing vocals.

Edit: seeing the chart I'm pretty convinced that I'm correct

Wow, never heard of that, but it's an interesting idea...

Looking at the frequency chart I'm led to believe that AN MP3-VERSION of Joey's mix has been used. MP3 Compression incorparates a low pass filter for bandwith saving purposes. And that is EXACTLY how this looks like.

Looking at the frequency chart I'm led to believe that AN MP3-VERSION of Joey's mix has been used. MP3 Compression incorparates a low pass filter for bandwith saving purposes. And that is EXACTLY how this looks like.

nope, tried it also, saved my project on MP3 of all compression types, still the same.
I think this is an L2, but how can I achieve this kind of frequency behavior without owning an L2

And, if you think it's a shelf or something similar, have you actually tried using a shelf EQ to see if you get the same results as the graph?

But, surely you know that getting a graph to "look" similar isn't going to aurally translate to a better mix for you?

I've fallen prey to that ideal in my learning, so I know the precipice in which you loom over...:err:

a friend just sent me 2 mixes, one with and one without it, the one with the L2 behaves exactly like the joey mixes

Looks like a lowpass at 16k, the 18k bump is probably some strong overtone from the cymbals.

Try lowpassing your mix at 16k and I think you get the same result.

Looks like a lowpass at 16k, the 18k bump is probably some strong overtone from the cymbals.

Try lowpassing your mix at 16k and I think you get the same result.

Maybe visually, but I highly doubt audibly. There is a lot more to it than that ;)

turns out I came out wrong, I bought the devil wears prada CD, and converted the WAVs from CD into MP3, so turns out it was MP3 compression indeed

Makes sense that Mp3's would cut off the parts of the human spectrum we mostly cant hear to save filespace.