Freud

It's an interesting book. He talks about savages, who are the peoples of the world who are are, basically, aboriginal and not inheritantly Christian. The Aboriginies of Australia, the Native Americans of North America, etc. He compares these people's clan system (totem) and their taboo's to the thinking (?) of neurotics (neurosis being a perfectly valid diagnoses back then).

I don't think Freud had the vaguest idea about these native peoples and was extremely general in trying to figure out why they think and have the beliefs they do.

Nevertheless, the book was thought provoking.

I like how Freud linked everything back to sex. He must've been quite the pervert. I also learned a new word for taking a piss: micturate.

Damn, I thought you would do the Black Metal Thing(TM) and start defending the book as a valid social commentary ;-)

The glimpse at the state of European Academia back then that this offers is far more interesting to me than the book itself. Talk about moldy old farts gathering dust in a library somewhere, making neat theories about civilization and making sure the they portrayed themselves at the top.

Luckily some current researchers are a little bit more involved.

As for the linking everything to sex bit, their neat theories would probably have promptly fallen apart like houses of cards if they tried to take into account the more complex sides of humanity.

I don't think Freud had much of a grasp on anything but himself! :OMG:

:lol:

He was intelligent, but a lot of his "findings" were just assumptions.

I think I know more about human psychology than he does.

But then again, I think I know a lot of just about everything. :lol:

If you are interested abou this topic, you can cheak something about Claude Levi-Strauss. He works about the incest`s taboo, at the differents cultures. The great difference with Freud, is that Levi-Strauss, was making field-work at many places, to make his theory.

Fuck Freud, aka Fraud.

I liked his ideas about the id, ego, and superego, but linking everything back to your dick and asshole, that's wacky.

Read Jung instead.

Freud is a choir boy compared to Erik Erikson when it comes to sex...aaahhh the forgotten EE.
I don't like either myself...for a more valid social commentary and a book to live your life by, read Druss the Legend by David Gemmell.