Front end

Tachy

Senior Fuckers
Dec 9, 2005
In Italy
What is in your opinion the best front end valves for a mesa dual, electro harmonix or JJ ??

Atm I have EH in it, but ther's something I don't like, I think they are not smoth and clear....

Meh. Unless you are buying crazy $400 long plate NOS tubes from the 30's, I don't think you will hear much of a difference between preamp tube brands anyway. Just buy the good shit because it lasts longer. Now power amp tubes, you would probably hear a big difference in tone between brands.

Hey Eric, why would you steer clear of the JJs? I'm not sure, but I think thats what's in my JSX from new?

Because I don't trust anything made in the Slovak Republic :heh:

I don't see them as quality tube. It's the only brand I've used where they have failed on me within weeks of using them. Since I switched to Tung-Sol's I've never had an issue with bad tubes.

JJ's KT77 is quite awesome though, I'll give them that.

Because I don't trust anything made in the Slovak Republic :heh:

I don't see them as quality tube. It's the only brand I've used where they have failed on me within weeks of using them. Since I switched to Tung-Sol's I've never had an issue with bad tubes.

JJ's KT77 is quite awesome though, I'll give them that.

Ah cool, I wouldnt know enough about tubes to know so thanks for that info. I am temped to try a set of 6L6s sometime in the JSX to hear the difference so I will keep that in mind. Sorry for the thread hijack....