Frost Giant, Your People are Being Deprived!

Can four-keg limit tame annual UW block party?

Last year, some houses had as many 50 kegs

Sunday, May 2, 2004 Posted: 3:46 AM EDT (0746 GMT)

MADISON, Wisconsin (AP) -- Police set a beer quota on an annual spring block party that draws thousands of drunken revelers, but Saturday's partiers weren't exactly tapped out: The limit was four kegs per household.

The keg crackdown for the annual Mifflin Street block party near the University of Wisconsin still gives each apartment between 700 and 800 beers. And the block is lined with wood-frame houses divided into apartments, giving some addresses as many as 16 kegs.

But police said what sounds like a lot of beer is much less than what has been available in the past. Last year, some houses had as many 50 kegs and were essentially operating unlicensed taverns out of their kitchens and front porches, acting Madison Police Assistant Chief Luis Yudice said.

The Mifflin Street event started 35 years ago and is part of the campus culture that put UW-Madison second on The Princeton Review's national "party school" rankings in 2003, behind only the University of Colorado in Boulder.

Police spokesman Larry Kamholz said Sunday that preliminary numbers showed 190 had been arrested, mostly for such violations as disorderly conduct and carrying open intoxicants, and there were no major problems.

Police warned that violators' parties could be shut down, but Dan Hudson, the party's coordinator, said few of his neighbors were adhering to the limit.

Hudson, a 25-year-old senior, said a reasonable cap would have been "at least 10."

"A lot of our normal barbecues -- we'll have more than four kegs just for our friends," he said.

John Lucas, a university spokesman, said four kegs amount to an "ungodly number of pitchers," but praised the new policy.

"We want people to have fun and enjoy student traditions," he said, "but it's kind of frightening."

i just need to re-highlight this:

a 25-year-old senior, said a reasonable cap would have been "at least 10."

"A lot of our normal barbecues -- we'll have more than four kegs just for our friends," he said.

avi said:
I can't really comprehend a party so crazy that it needs 50 kegs
I've been to the mifflin block party so I can. 4 kegs is really low. That'd run out by 2 o'clock easy. Last time I went to the mifflin party most houses started with 20 and ended up buying 10-15 more in the late afternoon. I think there were 15,000 people or so packed on two blocks.

Well, there usually isn't an apartment that isn't partying. The whole reason people pay the ridiculous rent for those crappy houses is cuz of this once a year party. I'd bet that pot and hard liquor really made up for the lack of kegs. I wonder if that limit included cases too?

It's much fun. Except for 1996 when there was that huge riot when the police and firemen tried to get everyone off the street at the end of the night. But other than that it's great fun.

Two OSU Football Players Arrested
May 1, 2004

Columbus police say that two OSU football players were arrested early Saturday morning after allegedly trying to rob a man.

Louis Irizarry and Ira Guilford were picked up by OSU police after they allegedly struck a man, knocked him to the ground and then tried to take his wallet.

The alleged incident took place on College Road and West 19th Avenue around 3 a.m.

The two are being held in Franklin County jail and have been charged with robbery. It is unknown whether or not they will be charged with assault.

FG, dude, I hate the buckeyes! I love how Tressel came in acting like a boy scout and his teams are as much hooligans as Cooper's.

Alex: rubber bullets!

here's an acct. from the OSU lantern...

The Lantern - Campus
Issue: 4/30/01

Off-campus parties turn reckless in early morning hours
By Monica M. Torline

At 1:20 a.m., a girl at a party on Frambes holds her cell phone in the air and yells, “Hey guys, the police are shooting people on Norwich!”

Yesterday at 1:23 a.m., running through allies and backyards, I can hear the cries and screams of party-goers. The sounds of shelling of knee-knockers sounds like a mix between a July 4 fireworks display and a movie about World War II. Another weekend at Ohio State, another riot.

Seeing Norwich Avenue as I first approached was daunting for all the glass bottles that are shattered in the streets. Students were crouched in the allies and behind bushes, hiding from police. Ben, an 18-year-old high school student, standing by himself in the middle of the street, watched the police approach in their riot gear.

“They’re shooting tear gas and rubber bullets, baby,” he said with a smile on his face. “They think it’s getting out of hand with people throwing beer bottles.”

Ben said he heard about the parties on Norwich after hearing reports on the news but did not come with the intent of being caught in the middle of a riot.

“I came here to meet some females and have a good time,” he said. “I thought some (stuff) might go down, but I didn’t think this would happen.”

The police come nearer to where Ben and I are standing, and he runs away yelling, “Oh (expletive) they’re shooting at somebody now! They’re coming for us!” We scattered in opposite directions.

The students, gathered in allies, on porches and on top of roofs, began to chant expletives at the police. It sounded like Ohio Stadium when the crowd disagrees with a referee’s call.

Standing between two houses, I watched the armored van and mounted police parade down the street. Suddenly, I saw a flash out of the corner of my eye. A guy grabs me by the arm, pulling me back farther into an alley. As I turn around, I am hit with a knee-knocker. Small, sharp objects shatter into my legs, back and head. It stings so bad that it brings tears to my eyes. The exploding continues all around me, and I look for cover.

Kevin, a senior, is hiding behind a car, sneaking peeks at the police officers a block away marching down Norwich Avenue. He and his friends came from South Campus hoping to see a riot.

When asked what it felt like to be in a riot, Kevin said: “It’s an adrenaline rush — like you’ve committed a crime, but not really.”

“There wasn’t even a riot before they (the police) got here,” said Amory, a friend of Kevin’s. “I don’t know why they’re rioting now.”

“They’re going to shoot us for nothing. ...There was nothing wrong until they (the police) showed up. ...I was about to walk to my apartment, but they wouldn’t let me cross the street,” said Matt, a sophomore. “It crosses the line when I can’t even walk across the street to go home.”

Carl and Greg are freshmen at OSU. Neither one is from Ohio. They do not plan on telling their parents about the riot on Norwich Avenue Sunday morning, much less that they were there.

“I came here looking for a good time, and I’m kind of excited. I’ve never seen something like this before,” Carl said. “I don’t think I’m going to tell them (my parents) anything.”

Knee-knockers explode behind us, and Carl and Greg flinch.

“My parents don’t understand why they’re rioting. I don’t either,” Greg said. “There really isn’t a reason, seriously.” Greg said he believes that the media is responsible for “dramatizing” the riots.

“You can’t blame the media when the area’s being blanketed with postings,” said Bill Hall, interim vice president for Student Affairs.

Hall was on Norwich Avenue and 13th Avenue the entire day, urging students to party responsibly. Other members of the OSU administration were present during the evening, including President William “Brit” Kirwan and Willie Young, Off-Campus Student Services.

“We’ve tried to reason with students,” Hall said. “Until students step in, there is nothing the university or police can do.”

Hall looked tired, and his face was drawn-out.

“I’m totally disappointed and frustrated,” he said. “The initial efforts were fine, but they had too much to drink. ...Clearly the intent tonight was to cause trouble.”

Hall said he will ask Kirwan to enact an emergency plan for dealing with this weekend’s rioters, similar to what the university did for the Nov. 19 riots after the Michigan game. He said enacting the emergency plan will cut through the red tape and resolve matters quicker.

“We’ve reached a point where we will not continue to put up with this,” Hall said. “I think it’s going to take rigid enforcement.”

It’s 2:11 a.m., and the armored police van has made it down to the end of Norwich Avenue, near High Street. The trail behind the truck looks like a war zone, with shards of glass and garbage cluttering the street. The street is cleared of people, except for police and media. Students are yelling at the police from the windows of their homes and apartments. An ambulance makes its way down the street, driving past more than a dozen police cruisers with their lights flashing.

“The party’s over. Get back inside. Keep moving. Clear the area,” a police officer blared through loud speakers and megaphones.

One police officer talks with another through his shielded helmet, saying, “These students that are getting drunk...well, they’re gonads are getting bigger than their brains.”

Eric Brown, a photographer for WSYX, ABC6/FOX28, was there when the rioting began.

“Kids were blocking the street, and it got out of hand. They were throwing rocks and bottles,” Brown said. He said the only thing that kept him at the riots was being paid overtime.

Things are quieter on Norwich than they were an hour before, and Hall showed some signs of relief.

At 2:48 a.m. Brian Clark, editor of the Lantern, received a phone call from staff members stationed on 13th Avenue. Clark was the one who told Hall that students were lining up to riot in the South Campus area.

“Oh no,” Hall said, with an expression on his face beyond disappointment. He was visibly upset.

It is 2:52 a.m. when I arrive on 13th Avenue, and police are lined up in riot gear. More than 1,000 students are standing and screaming at police about 50 yards away. The piercing yells get louder as a helicopter flies over the crowd, shining lights down upon them. Students raise fists and middle fingers in the air, as they jump up and down.

Among the students in the street is Kris “Krispy” Pierce, former USG presidential candidate. Pierce had a megaphone in his hands, urging students to get back in their buildings before trouble broke out.

“I’m trying to keep peace and order. I’m trying to get people not to do stuff,” Pierce said.

He said tensions worsened when the police came, dressed in riot gear.

“It all got bad when they (the police) started throwing tear gas, and that’s when the bottles came,” he said. Pierce leaves at that point, trying to get students to move westward, toward High Street.

At 2:54 a.m., chaos breaks open, as police begin to progress down the street. Over a loud speaker, the police said, “Get back inside so we can separate the good from the bad.”

Suddenly, like the running of the bulls, students stampede down the center of 13th Avenue, toward High Street. Police begin shooting tear gas and knee knockers into the crowd. It’s an instant replay of the events from an hour and a half before on Norwich Avenue, only South Campus style.

I find myself ducking in another alley with Clark. Students are hiding behind Dumpsters and cars a block away. It feels like guerrilla warfare, but it isn’t war. It’s Sunday morning in Columbus.

Things begin to settle down after police push students to the corner of 13th Avenue and High Street. An ambulance makes its way to one house, where a former student is injured.

Tony Manos, who attended OSU for two years, comes from a house with one hand raised in the air. The other hand holds a bloodied rag to his scalp. Police rush to assist him. Manos said he was shot by a rubber bullet as he was making his way inside from the roof to a second floor window.

“They’re supposed to shoot them (rubber bullets) at your knees,” Manos said. “I don’t know how it hit me in the head.”

Manos says he tried to ask a police officer outside for help when he realized he needed medical assistance, but he said the officer threatened to shoot him.

“I had blood running down my face, and he told me to get back inside before he’d shoot me,” he said. Manos received four staples for the wound at the Ohio State University Hospital.

A little after 3 a.m., a couch is pulled into the middle of 13th Avenue and set on fire further up the road. As firefighters put it out, students scream obscenities from the windows of their houses and apartments.

Things are calm around 4 a.m., and police are eager to get home.

“This is just stupid,” one officer said. “I don’t like coming out here to deal with a bunch of drunks.”

haha

Mall Easter Bunny Fucks Like Rabbit,
Declares Exhausted Shopper

South Oakland resident Sarah Lowell went shopping for an inexpensive outfit, but instead got quite a different kind of bargain during her recent visit to Monroeville Mall. Lowell, 21, considers herself a semi-regular at the mall, though this trip marked her first where she participated in sexual activities.
“I can’t believe I fucked the Easter Bunny!” Lowell exclaimed to her giggling circle of friends.

While having lunch in the food court last week, Lowell spotted Sam Mahoney – the designated mall Easter Bunny – sipping a milkshake in front of Baskin Robbins.

“He was wearing that furry body suit and overalls, but his bunny head was off,” Lowell said. “With his hair all flat and sweaty, he looked really hot! So I go up to him with my food and I say, ‘You want some fries to go with that shake,’ and he’s all like, ‘No, but how ‘bout some ass’ and I said, ‘Oooh, you wascally wabbit.’”

Minutes later, Lowell and Mahoney were having sex in the men’s room behind Manchu Wok.

“He was fast, but efficient,” Lowell said. “I just hope he didn’t ‘dye’ any of my eggs, if you know what I mean.”

After the hippity hop-in-the-sack, Mahoney returned to his Easter Bunny duties: posing for pictures and passing out chocolate treats to children. The Lowell fling was his most impressive since a Christmas Eve hand job he received from the hands of a local high school senior girl. He received the sexual favor while playing an elf for Santa last holiday season.

“I like this job,” Mahoney said. “I can usually control my hormones while I’m on duty, but it’s hard not to get horny when you’ve got people bouncing up and down on your junk all day. Not to mention the MILFs. I never thought women in their mid-thirties and forties could be so attractive. They can pick me up and take me to practice in their mini-vans any ol’ day of the week.”