Frozen (Madonna Cover, 5150/5150 III/real drums) right way?

acappa

Alex Cappa TMF Studios
Hey, I´m mixing a cover song of Madonna for a band. There are no vocals yet, but everything else is here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4255918/FROZEN_2.mp3
It´s recorded in their rehearsal room...so I thing I got pretty good results.
Guitars: 5150/5150 III with Fredman and 2x57´s replicas into Saffire 56
Drums: All triggered plus I5 on snare, B52 replica on BD & AKG C451B & SM81´s replicas on OH´s.
Yeah, I´m the replica guy :)

Post your thoughts!

shit, the nostalgia! i listened to the original when i was a kid :p
the Bleed part was unexpected :p

the snare sounds kinda cold and simple, maybe. and the kick sounds a little too scooped and "in there" to my ears.

it´s a good mix, though not "sophisticated and expencive". i approve :)

x3 about the snare. If you could find a punchier, fatter tone it would be great. The arrangements and the riffs are sick. Good job!

And this desperately needs vocals:D

btw a key change in the last chorus would be great imo, but that would of course depend on the singer.

Wow, thank you all. I love fatty snares, like devil driver or the one that catharsis and dandelium uses but the drummer loves fucking snares ala Mnemic, Submission, and most of the Tue Madsen mixes, no body at all, only treble and highs...so, I blended his original snare with a picolo sample from Superior Dr.
If I could find something like what we hear in Mnemic´s Passenger&Sons of TS it would be awesome....any one has samples like that??
Something I´ve realized making this mix is that Parallel compresion on drums does not work as well as with acustic drums...(thats the first time I mix SN, BD and Toms with samples)